problems reloading 300 win mag

darrindlh

So, I was starting to reload my 300 last night, and let me tell you it was an ordeal and very stressfull and I did not get one done. It looks like my decaping unit is bent. If the unit is bent will it not resize correctly? Once I got the caseings decapped I started to seat the bullets and I found out that I could push the bullet through the neck into the case with my hand. I need some help badly!! What am I doing wrong?

Darrin

screw your die in a little deeper, you dont have any neck tension. I had a similar problem with my .308win. screw your die in a bit, run a case through it, and see how deep you can put the bullet with your hand, then adjust again till you have it so just about 95% of the boattail goes in. At least that is was i did and i have several under 2" groups at 400yards to stand for it :D

Sounds like it is either brass or dies. If the decapping rod is bent, that could be the problem. If it is dragging back out of the neck at an angle, it could make it bigger. Take the decapping rod out and run a case in the die and see if you still have the same loose bullet issue. If so, send the die back. If that works, all you need is a new decapping rod. Either way, you need a new decapping rod and maybe a new die.
I'm assuming the brass hasn't been neck turned and you have a saami chamber.

When I bought the rifle it came with a box of amo. I shot it this week and wanted to reload them. Federal brass is what I am using. I will try that tonight checking without the decapping unit.

I also forgot to mention that I did not lube the case the best. I am new to reloading and that is why I got the case stuck. I only lubed the neck. Could that be an issue as well not enough lube to be able to go all of the way into the die? Or does that play no part at all.

Darrin

Lube the inside of the neck and outside of the case. NOT the outside of the neck. It will cause dimples in the shoulder.
Don't forget to clean the lube from the inside of the neck, I use a Q-tip, before adding powder.
There are better methods for lubricating the inside of the neck than regular lube, but I'm lazy

If the gun is a bolt action and you are shooting the new loads in the same gun you only need to size the neck, using a neck sizing die. This improves accuracy since the cartidge is custom fit into the gun. I've reloaded both 375 HH and 300 Win Mag using and not had a problem although when resizing it does take a consideralbe amount of force.

I've never attempted to resize anything without lube, RCBS reccomends lubing the outside of the case as well as the clean the dirt and powder residue from inside the case nec and add a light coating of case lube with a case neck bruch.

As far as setting the die you screw the die into the press until the die touches the shell holder when the ram is at the top of the press stroke. Raise the press handle and turn the die down another 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

I suggest going to the following web site and following the direction step by step: Step By Step Reloading - Close window to return to RCBS

Although I've been reloading for some time I still keep a printed copy to follow when reloading.

Thank you guys for the replys, I really appreciate it. are the cases toast or can I still use them be resizing them correctly? I know that it takes alot of force but should I be lifting my bench off of the ground to get the case out of the Sizing die?

Darrin

I have a heavy bench with all of my tools and bullets stocked. I find that without a small amount of lube on the inside of the case neck, I use more force to pull the expander through the neck than to resizing a case. The previous posts all have very good information. All of my dies are RCBS or LEE, but i read that bushing dies are the way to go.

I want to thank all of you that replied to the thread. All of you have been a big help. I really appreciate all of it. I think that I have found my problem. I took out the decapping unit and resized the brass again and that fixed my bullet dropping in the caseing . It resizedthe caseing correctly. So I am going to purchase a new decapping unit and go from there. Again thank you to all of you

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts