Problem with new factory 7prc ammo

Okay, I know this is going to sound really crazy but…

Can you just lightly rub the base on some 240 grit Emory paper to just knock the ridge down level with the rest of the base? It will scratch the surface but it can't look much worse than it currently does. At least it will be flat for the reloads.

Last edited:
Yep, I did on a couple to try it out . Just take enough off until you barely see it marking the base. Make sure your using a perfectly flat surface under your emery cloth. I think it will be fine.
I'm still waiting on my rifle build, so haven't shot any yet.

The ring isnt as defined as the earlier brass but it's still there. The quality definitely isn't there and it sure isn't any tougher like they claim. Pockets barely hold a primer after firing the factory load.
Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that.
I pulled a primer from a unfired case to see what they used and even the new cases have very little resistance seating in a primer.
The weak link to 7 prc is the 💩hornady brass. I know I won't be able to get 3 shots on it.
I've always said I'd never shoot hornady brass but I drank the koolaid and now I know why I said I wouldn't.

I just check two boxes of 6.5 PRC that I picked up to try in a new Sako.
P. Hunter 143 ELD-x lot# 3230107
Match 147 ELD lot# 3230638
Both boxes contain cases with the ridge. On a few the ridge is only on approx half the case head and significantly more prominent than those with a full ring. Disappointing to say the least.