Problem with new factory 7prc ammo

I got curious and took some of the brass with the ring on then and sanded them down 1 with a electric and a few by hand with a sanding block. I measured headspace with the shortaction custom with the should angle insert. Taking them off I measured some at .001 to .0005 shorter so not crazy amount. Now these were shot from factory ammo then I reloaded them 1 time not once did I notice it til this thread so not sure it's really going to cause a bunch of issues but could be used if you had to. I will keep mine separated.

Was waiting to hear some responses from Hornady before contacting myself. Well, I sent them pics today of my 5 boxes as well. I'll share any info I get. If they don't replace, I'll be posting them for sale. My smith who's building a XP-100 for me does not like what he is seeing either. So, either I wait for corrected ammo, ADG/Peterson, or toss the 7PRC for another 7saum or 280AI. I wanted to have the option with the XP to shoot quality factory ammo and save time. My rifles keep me at the bench enough. I guess the "easy button" idea may have been a dream. :oops:

The reloading brass is coming but not til q2 and q3 but better be fast hhaha also I've shot the ammo in questioned and nothing bad happened but let us know what they say because I decided not to send mine back because I had a feeling there going to say it functions fine

I wanted to have the option with the XP to shoot quality factory ammo and save time. My rifles keep me at the bench enough. I guess the "easy button" idea may have been a dream. :oops:
Another option is once you get some other brass skip load dev, just choose a mild load from the book and run with it. As a re-loader I know that's gonna be tough but I find the load dev is what takes the most time, I can load 100 rounds fast but it's all the tinkering and running back and forth to the range that burns up time.

Another option is once you get some other brass skip load dev, just choose a mild load from the book and run with it. As a re-loader I know that's gonna be tough but I find the load dev is what takes the most time, I can load 100 rounds fast but it's all the tinkering and running back and forth to the range that burns up time.
"it's all the tinkering and running back and forth to the range that burns up time"

Ain't that the truth! I can get by at home to 100 yards but still eats up time.

Update:
1/16 I called support and ended up talking with a rep named Matt Ritchie. He gave me his email address, send to send in all the pictures and describe the issues, and also include a picture of the inside flap showing the inspector number stamp. I sent 8 pictures of the 10 boxes I bought with numerous pics showing the rim issue. He said he would send them up to the inspection department to see who the inspector was and how this could have gotten through inspection.
1/19 I had not heard back so emailed Matt to inquire about their investigation and what they were going to do.
1/24 (today) I had still not heard back from Matt so emailed him again today to ask what they are going to do to rectify this defect.

Will continue to update as we go along.

Mine went back today. Can't wait. I know every new gun or chambering seems to have issues but hornday seems to hit it out of the park every time.

Was waiting to hear some responses from Hornady before contacting myself. Well, I sent them pics today of my 5 boxes as well. I'll share any info I get. If they don't replace, I'll be posting them for sale. My smith who's building a XP-100 for me does not like what he is seeing either. So, either I wait for corrected ammo, ADG/Peterson, or toss the 7PRC for another 7saum or 280AI. I wanted to have the option with the XP to shoot quality factory ammo and save time. My rifles keep me at the bench enough. I guess the "easy button" idea may have been a dream. :oops:
Unfortunately, never an easy button for precision brother...

Recent Posts