Problem with M700 bases

Matt Regalia

I bought a Remington model 700 VS in 308 about a month and a half ago. I put a weaver two piece bases on it and some generic rings with a Leupold 3X9 VarX-II. When I bore sighted the gun I noticed it was near the top on the elevation in the scope for 100yds. Also the scope seem alittle out of focus or like a heat mirage on the barrel. But the barrel was cold. I did not think much of it because this was not the scope that was going to remain on the gun. I broke in the barrel, shooting roughly 2 boxes of shells over all.

I bought a Nikon 6.5 X 20 and millet rings to work with the same two piece bases. When I mounted the scope and went to bore sight it. I ended up being at the top of my elevation again. I shot the gun at 100 yds and I could not dial the elevation any closer that 1 inch low at 100 yds. The scope again (like the Leupold) looked a little out of focus (heat mirage) when looking at the target.

I talked to Dave King and I loosened the rear ring and the scope did not move. But when I tightened the rear ring and loosened the front ring the scope ring potted up off the base about .020 or so (I did not measure exactly yet). We came to the conclusion that the two piece base was torqueing or flexing the scope.

My question is how to fix this problem? I value Dave's opinion very much, and am by no means disregarding it. I figured that some of you all might have had similar experiences and I would like to know how you fixed them.

Matt

Matt, it sounds like you have 1 of 4 possible things going on.
1. Front and rear base switched, not likely since we are all smarter than that. Solution-- change front base with rear base.
2. Bases are cut wrong or for a different rifle. Solution-- install Leupold steel QRW bases or a different brand.
3. Action is not bedded properly with the Aluminun bedding block therefore flexing the action. Solution-- Skim bed the action relieving any stress.
4. Receiver is not machined correctly. Not likely but if this is the case, rings with offset inserts would work.

I would look at a different set of bases first and go from there.

Thomas B.

Thanks for the response. The bases are on correctly. My end goal was to use the Leupold Long Range 1 piece base and rings. Would the 1 piece base solve any of my problems? The rings with offset inserts, are these the Burris rings?

Matt

Matt

The Burris sight-a-line rings with the .020" inserts should solve your problem.
It does seem like the front base is thicker then it should be by your discription.
I would check the thickness of another new set of bases for your rifle.

Darryl Cassel

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I like to lap my rings making sure they are in alignment and also that the ring is making full contact with the scope. Get a 12 to 15 inch piece of 1 inch round stock. Measure it and make sure it is exactly 1 inch the entire length. Then get some sort of lapping compound. I often use a brand called Clover. Clamp rings down tight enough so that you can just slide the bar through. Begin lapping and the uneven spots will show pretty quick.
I do like the Leupold one piece base but still lap in the rings.
Take care.

Like Darryl said, the Burris rings with the inserts are nice. You might want to just start over and get the Leupold long range base. It only costs about $15 and should solve your problem. It is angled and would give you additional elevation and being one piece, is very solid.

Prime Time and Matt,
Could you give me some information on the Leupold Long Range base you mentioned. Looked in a catalog and could not see anything with that designation - do you mean the MK4?
Thanks,
ian

Leupold make a STD one piece base that has about 15MOA built in. At least that's what it's supposed to be. I think they only make them for the Rem 700 and win 70 long and short action. Go to the tech support page on leupold site, go into the mount fit search. Input your rifle make model and it will tell you if it is available.

Ian

I bought two the the Leupold 15MOA long range bases. They look no different that the standard one piece base.

The part # is 51732 for the Long Action Right Hand Matte version.

They're marked with a (LR) code on the center bottom.

Well just to update you all on my adventure. I got the one piece LR base and installed the two front screws and the rear of the base was 0.096 off the reciever. There was almost a 10th of an inch gab between the back of the base and the top of the reciever. I guess I am calling Remington tomorrow. I want to see what they say about it. If anyone has any suggestions.....I am all ears. I'll let you know how the phone call goes tomorrow.

Matt

Matt, loosen the action screws on the stock and see if the base is still to high. The action may be flexing.

Thomas B.

I loosened the action screws last night and no change.

I brought it over to a gunsmith last night and he played with it for awhile and we decided to mill the base to fit. We bore sighted the gun and it made a world of difference. He has a 100yd range behind the shop so we test fired it. I now have almost all my elevation adjustment and the scope is crystal clear. So I think the problem has been solved.

Thanks for all the responses. You all have been most helpful.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts