Problem with calcs for 4dof and strelok

You are not seeing issue at lower adjustments though. As done in the video, move closer in and increase the adjustment. If it tracks at 30 MOA, it should track reasonably everywhere in between. But only checking at 5 may not give you your answer
I did five shot groups at every 6 moa up to 30. Five feet of shootable target on a six foot tall 16 inch sonotube. It tracks just under 13inches every 6 moa at 200 yards. All the way up and all the way back down. It's not a problem with the scope.

Well. I sent the scope back to vortex. They say there's nothing wrong with it. They gave me some pointers on stuff I was already doing. So Scopes back on and 0ed at 200 again. Went back out to the same spot under considerably different temperature conditions but with no wind. I also have a kestrel and a chronograph this time . Just to make sure every calculation was perfect. Same thing as before. I guess I'm just going to have to shoot it at five or six different ranges and come up with my own notebook full calculations. There is absolutely no reason that this gun should be shooting 30% different than any app. No minor adjustment in any of these programs is going to make that big a difference.
And they (Vortex) confirmed that the MOA version is what you have? If you want send me all the details of your load specs and rifle specs and I will build a profile in my app and see what I come up with. PM if you'd like.

Then I have no clue. The one thing I do know for a fact Is, that bullet at that speed will require far more than 12 MOA @ 900 yds
Yes for sure. I just ran it on my 300 win with the same load I shoot and a 200 zero.

Same bullet at 3042 FPS 300 Win

8C6284FF-E2BA-4EAB-B0BA-07FD4E4CD951.png

I did five shot groups at every 6 moa up to 30. Five feet of shootable target on a six foot tall 16 inch sonotube. It tracks just under 13inches every 6 moa at 200 yards. All the way up and all the way back down. It's not a problem with the scope.
Xescane, stinks that you having the issue, but I'm glad you wrote back. I was certain it was an moa/mil mismatch in your scope. The math sure seems to work out. If we've eliminated your scope, environmentals and muzzle velocity, the only thing left to ask is how do you know you are shooting at 905 and 675? Any chance those numbers are wrong? I've used google maps to double check distances before I got a range finder.

Last edited:
I noticed the 675 yard numbers are off by 52%, while the 905 numbers are off by 45%. Its odd to me that the delta gets smaller the farther away your targets are. The only other possibility I can think of is a parallax issue. Possibly as you move from 200 to 675 to 905 you are changing shooting positions because the targets are at different angles (that's my speculation.. I dont know if they are or not). If parallax is showing up, those slight differences may be throwing things off. It's a stretch... but it's all I got.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.