Problem mounting in new stock.

Gone Ballistic

Need a little help and advice folks. I recently purchased a McMillan MC3 stock to fit a Remington 700 BDL bottom floor plate magazine and when I tighten the screws down, I can't lift the bolt. I have checked everything I can think of to see what is binding it. The only thing that I can see is it might be pushing the magazine liner up but, can't find a mark on anything, anywhere. If you have had a similar experience and can advise me on how to correct it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some stocks require shortened action screws. Your front screw is probably protruding into the bolt recess binding the bolt.
Dang, I couldn't get much bite with the hex head screws that were in it so, I bought longer torx head screws that are causing the problem, apparently. When I mount the hex rear screw, it doesn't get up to the top of the rifle action. I'll try the hex in the front again and if it works, then I'll shorten the torx.
Thanks

Like others have said,, Front screw too long and its hitting the bottom of the bolt...I bet if you took the bolt out and torqued the action to the stock you can't get the bolt all the way back in...you can look down in towards the chamber and see the screw protruding I bet

Like others have said,, Front screw too long and its hitting the bottom of the bolt...I bet if you took the bolt out and torqued the action to the stock you can't get the bolt all the way back in...you can look down in towards the chamber and see the screw protruding I bet
You're absolutely, unaquivichally ,beyond a doubt, 110% correct, my man! And to think I just spent over $20 for two screws I didn't need makes the wound from senior moments even more painful!
Thanks, gentlemen, for your help. Now, I am going to go burn some powder and see how it shoots.

Some stocks require shortened action screws. Your front screw is probably protruding into the bolt recess binding the bolt.
You were right on the mark. Thanks for your reply and unlocking my senior moment on this action. I know I should have felt inside the dang chamber to see if the screw overran inside. Hell to get old and forget more than you remember.

You're absolutely, unaquivichally ,beyond a doubt, 110% correct, my man! And to think I just spent over $20 for two screws I didn't need makes the wound from senior moments even more painful!
Thanks, gentlemen, for your help. Now, I am going to go burn some powder and see how it shoots.
Don't know where you got yours, but you can buy either SS hex head or torx [#27 required fit] from Red Hawk Rifles for $12 a set, tho the $8 shipping plus sales tax [if any] adds to the cost unless you're buying other items too. I bought a few sets just because I like the torx since you can torque them better without worrying about buggering up your screw head. They are purposely made longer and meant to be trimmed down. Nowdays the hex head require a smaller size Allen wrench than they used to.

I have a relatively new Remington 700 action set into an older H-S Precision stock and with the factory issue trigger guard it went together with no issue front or rear using the torx screws.

lpUq0P3.jpg

It depends upon the countersunk depth of the guard screw holes [I was also using a stainless PTG unit] as well as the angle of bevel of the screw heads. On a couple of other rifles my luck with the torx screws wasn't so good so I went back to the hex head. They can also be long enough in the back to require trimming so the cocking cam on the bolt will clear.

Thanks everyone for crushing my senior moment and getting me back to some clarity. I had purchased new torx head screws that were supposed to be shorter than the hex head screws I had that were too long. Problem was that I assumed they were the proper length without measuring them. When I did, they were longer than the ones I had ordered. Cut them down and everything worked great.
So nice to have this place for help and comadre from you guys. Thanks to each of you for responding and solving my issue.

Thanks everyone for crushing my senior moment and getting me back to some clarity. I had purchased new torx head screws that were supposed to be shorter than the hex head screws I had that were too long. Problem was that I assumed they were the proper length without measuring them. When I did, they were longer than the ones I had ordered. Cut them down and everything worked great.
So nice to have this place for help and comadre from you guys. Thanks to each of you for responding and solving my issue.

All's swell that ends swell.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts