Problem closing the bolt on my new Remington 700 5R in .300 Win Mag...

Gunner1

I finally got some ammo for my new Remington Model 700 5R .300 Win Mag and thought I'd do a dry run of chambering a live round and extracting it. Well, the bolt was VERY hard to close with the live round in there but I eventually got it. I tried with a full magazine and the same thing happened several times. The bolt strips the rounds from the magazine and feeds them well enough, but it doesn't want to go over the base of the cartridge. To remove a round without using the bolt all I have to do is lift the muzzle and it slides right out so I don't think the chamber is the problem. I did have the rifle Cerakoted when I bought it. Below is a pic of the chamber where you can see something on the outside and a pic of the bolt face. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
20150314_120531_zpsy6bbvxrt.jpg

20150314_120634_zpszgdierwa.jpg

I posted this on another forum and people seem to think that the extractor is out too far. Is this possible? Unfortunately, it's not an easy fix because the extractor is riveted in place.

The extractor should not be hooched out like that, it should seat in the groove and only the extractor lip should need compressed when you insert a case.

I would recommend finding a headspace or go no-go gauge for this chamber and test the operation of the bolt opening and closing. you will be able to rule out the firearm as the of the concern. have you by chance tried a different brand of ammo.

I would recommend finding a headspace or go no-go gauge for this chamber and test the operation of the bolt opening and closing. you will be able to rule out the firearm as the of the concern. have you by chance tried a different brand of ammo.

I also tried it with new unprimed Winchester brass and had the same thing happen. The rounds all slide right out of the chamber when I lift the muzzle of the barrel.

take your unprimed case and see how it fits under the extractor. it was mentioned that its fit was poor. if the case doesn't slip under the extractor as the bolt closes you will experience a tight bolt closing. there maybe some trash from manufacturing laying there.

There are longitudinal scratches and nicks on the case heads.

20150314_134046_zpsvhrgeeqc.jpg
It looks almost like the edges of the belt are tapered instead of flat... The headspacing could be cut too short. I would let a smith take a look at it. He could probably run his reamer and set the headspace for minimal cost.

Did you ever chamber a round before having it cerakoted? Did they disassemble the action from the barrel for cerakoting?

It looks almost like the edges of the belt are tapered instead of flat... The headspacing could be cut too short. I would let a smith take a look at it. He could probably run his reamer and set the headspace for minimal cost.

Did you ever chamber a round before having it cerakoted? Did they disassemble the action from the barrel for cerakoting?

No, I purchased the rifle from a place in Arizona who has a company called X-WERKS do the Cerakote for them so I wasn't able to chamber any rounds. I just emailed them to see if the rifle is done as a whole or if it's disassembled. I asked a guy on another site who has the same rifle as mine but without Cerakoting if his bolt was all stainless steel or black on the lugs like mine and he said that his was all steel, no black so I'm wondering if they did Cerakote the bolt lugs and with the round in the chamber it's just too thick. It's kinda funny, but I left an unprimed piece of brass in the chamber with the bolt closed all night and today it seems to be a LITTLE better...

I had a 338 rum with the exact same prob.. I never did figure it out...
Even with factory loads extraction was very difficult also

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.