Probably hashed a million times...

wvmountainhick

I know y'all are probably tired of hearing the same boring stuff but here goes:

I'm in the process of making a choice of what to build. I'm on the fence as to what route to take. I'm stuck between the 308 and the 243. My long range experience is limited but I'm not new to firearms at all. I've got the bases covered in the "whiz bang" magnum arena already (Remington 700 7mm STW just needs a stock and it's finished) so let's not drag that one out. Realistically, I want to possibly punch paper somewhere around 800-1000. Deer at no more than 600. If I need more than that, I'll reach for something larger. There's just nowhere nearby that I can get much more than that with 4-500 being much more the norm. I'm aware that it doesn't take anything real special for this task as some of you are way more experienced than I am but I'm looking to have some fun in the mean time.

I've said all of that just to say this:
Understanding that the barrel wear is going to be considerably more in the 243 than the 308, is it really enough to get worked up about? I've got a buddy that's well versed in the long range realm that's really pushing me towards the 243 because it cuts down on wind drift and well, that's what he's using. I was personally leaning towards the 308 simply because it's a gun that I'd never have to rebarrel. I'm just up in the air and since rifles will be sold for next to nothing in the next few weeks with people trying to recuperate from Christmas and our local deer season comes to an end, I'm going to be looking for an action. Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you're stuck between the 243 and 308 you might be better served to literally get between them and go 260 or 7-08.

In my opinion the 243 is out if you are serious about deer out to 600, it gets pretty anemic at that range with all but the heaviest/highest BC bullets.

Nothing wrong with the 308 and it will certainly do the jobs at 600 with the proper bullets. I've just never got around to getting one, tried three times to build one but wound up with a 243, 260, and 7-08. Go figure.

Chris

The 243 with a 8 twist barrel running the 105 Bergers at 3000 fps is an awesome 1k yard target gun. On whitetails I'd feel plenty comfortable at 600 yards. If you ever need good target ammo you will find much better options with the 308. Barrel life will be better with the 308 as well.

My next build will be a 6mm creedmoor or 243 Ackley so that may bias my opinion.

Between those two I'd get the .308. It will drift more, but it's mostly a practice gun right? Better to practice with a gun that drifts more anyway, that way you learn to dope the wind better. I agree with winmagman that the .243 is a little "anemic" as a long range hunting caliber. I think if you'd prefer something that drifts less than a .308 and are willing to give up some barrel life you'd be better off with a .260. It drifts the same or less than a .243 and has more punch as a hunting round.

I'm just up in the air and since rifles will be sold for next to nothing in the next few weeks with people trying to recuperate from Christmas and our local deer season comes to an end, I'm going to be looking for an action. Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd stay flexible, some good deals on already built, custom, name builders, and monitor the classifieds.

I'd stay flexible, some good deals on already built, custom, name builders, and monitor the classifieds.

I think I'd go this route, whichever comes up first at a decent price; run with it.

As far as caliber preference, I run a .243, 6mmAI & 6x284.... there are no .308's in my stable. From my standpoint, barrel life & bullet weight are the only advantages here. A .243 (dilligently used) will still go a couple thousand rounds.... yes the .308 will go 2 or 3 time further...

Think of it this way. If this is a "practice" round; why not use one that more closely mimics the drop/drift of your STW?

t

I built a 308 for cheap practice reading wind etc. The problem I ran into is that the dope required for it wasn't helping me as it related to practice compared to my 338. So, I ended up rebarreling to a 260. Its much closer to the doping required on my big gun so it made a lot more sense to me. Just food for thought. Good kick with your decision

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts