Pro Chrony Digital Issues

Rick Richard

Purchased a Pro Chrony Digital a month ago and still have not been able to get it to function correctly.

First time out it read 4 shots then would not read thereafter. Took it out today and it would provide numbers like 688 or 733. In other words, erroneous readings.

Called their customer service a couple of different times and was told the issue was due to environmental conditions. I can believe that to a certain extent, but one day was sunny and the next was cloudy, and I used the diffuser as recommended.

Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. RR

The Competition Electronics Pro Chronograph is a common open V style design which can be obstinate even under ideal circumstances. That design is sensitive to the distance the machine is from the muzzle, how level it is (actually how well it matches the bullet path so that the bullet is nearly the same distance from the detector at one end as it is when it passes the other end), whether it's cloudy or bright (to varying degrees, either atmospheric condition can have an effect on the device's accuracy), etc.
If your fired round runs too high in the V it may not register at all. If the fired round is not perfectly aligned between the outer adges of the detection elements it is unlikely to register. If it doesn't run true to the surface of the chrono (same height over the first and second detectors) the output may prove to be inaccurate or unrecorded.
Try setting it up about ten feet in front of the bench. Use a laser level or similar instrument to make certain the chrono is centered on the bullets path and a level to get the chrono on the same plane as the bullets path. Don't get too risky, but try to get the bullets path as close to the detector elements as possible without risking hitting the machine. Factor in recoil for that calculation.
See if you can find a MagnetoSpeed for a test run. You may discover you like it better and finding a buyer for the Pro Chrono shouldn't be that difficult.
Best of luck to ya ..............

I have one that is about 4 years old and has worked great. It will miss a shot on every once in a while but it matches up with my magneto speed.

The sun has to be up (not dawn or dusk) it works in sun and shade but spotty cloudy days do create problems sometimes.

For the price I think they are pretty good, I paid about $100.

I always use the rods and guards and place it about 6 steps from the muzzle and try to shoot through the center while the unit is level to my line of sight.

I even use it for arrows and handguns with few problems. If yours is not working I would think it is broken.

Mine works pretty well. For magnum calibers, I need to move it further away. I use my binos to read the display. Folks recommend placing optical chronos in the shade. Mine works well in direct sunlight. I agree with FearNoWind that you want the bullet path close to the top and parallel to the chrono, and centered over the sensors. I try to get the bullet path about 2" above the chrono. I recommend that you visually inspect the sensors to make sure nothing has fallen down there to block them.

Also check the front of the unit for bullet holes...

Mine works pretty well. For magnum calibers, I need to move it further away. I use my binos to read the display. Folks recommend placing optical chronos in the shade. Mine works well in direct sunlight. I agree with FearNoWind that you want the bullet path close to the top and parallel to the chrono, and centered over the sensors. I try to get the bullet path about 2" above the chrono. I recommend that you visually inspect the sensors to make sure nothing has fallen down there to block them.

Also check the front of the unit for bullet holes...

Thats certainly a detriment to operation......:D

I have one that is about 4 years old and has worked great. It will miss a shot on every once in a while but it matches up with my magneto speed.

The sun has to be up (not dawn or dusk) it works in sun and shade but spotty cloudy days do create problems sometimes.

For the price I think they are pretty good, I paid about $100.

I always use the rods and guards and place it about 6 steps from the muzzle and try to shoot through the center while the unit is level to my line of sight.

I even use it for arrows and handguns with few problems. If yours is not working I would think it is broken.

+1 0n what 8andbait has to say here.

I have one and have never had a problem. I do run mine about 8 to 10 feet away so muzzle blast was the only thing that I ever seen effect it. I usually do try to make it level but that is just eyeballing it for level and I usually try to put the bullet in the center of the V's. I always place the shades on top also. It seem to work 100 times better than the shooting chrony F1 master. That thing just sucked all the way around. I would give this one away. I read a lot of reviews before purchasing another chronograph and went this the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. I shoot a 300 Rum through mine with no issues. I need to go out and test a load that I got to run through a magneto speed to see what the difference is or how close it is. Some day I would like to get the magneto speed. Seem very simple to use and most all reviews says they are very accurate but for now I will continue to use my pro chrono.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.