PRL bullets

Troy

Can anybody tell me the "low-down" on these bullets? Are they available to civilians and if so in what calibers and weight ranges?

Thanks.

Troy I was told that PRL was out of business but to get the info you need send S1 an e-mail. They are pricey but so is everything else in the real world. They do require a different train of thought when reloading.

Troy....They are generally not available to the public, PRL can not handle the volume necessary....yet. There is a reorganization to automation going on right now, and it will be 6 to 8 months before product becomes available. I think you can bet a lot of money on the military calibers becoming available first, .224, .308, and then you will see some larger stuff for dangerous African Game. I believe there will be a revolution in bullet technology take place over the next 3 years.

S1 I know that there is a market for everything but, do you feel that they will do larger than 30 cals?

With all the new hype about the short mags it would seem that would be the position to fill if they can do the military contract first.

Any ideas as to the BC's fo the 224 and 30 cals?

I can tell you exactly what the older line B.C.'s are but this will change as the new technology comes on line and the denser core tech is utilized.

The old 87 gr. .224 ran at .530

200 gr. 30 cal starts at .675 and increases to .720 over distance.

253 gr. 30 cal starts at .870 and increases up to .910 over distance.

Keep in mind the true beauty of this technology is not B.C. but real world wind deflection. You can always make a bullet's B.C. higher by making it longer. Unfortunately a longer bullet just increases the rear drag in a crosswind component which has a huge impact on actual wind deflection. By making the bullet denser, you need less rpm to stabilize it, it brings the CP closer to the CG, and you see major improvement in actual wind deflection performance. The flight time models that are written into the current software programs will be useless with this new technology. They will way overestimate the true wind deflection of these denser bullets. The rules are about to change.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks Texas and S1 for the information. I had heard/read about these bullets awhile back and then heard nothing again until I started reading this forum. I will wait and see. Sure hope they eventually make a 6.5mm bullet
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.