Printable Mil Target for Zeroing

Doozy

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/should-i-switch-to-moa.232833/

This thread by @SteelBanger was great and it accentuated one of my beefs with Mil scopes: for some reason nobody is making Mil targets! Because of this, we're forced to buy paper targets that have 1" square grids, and then we have to convert to Mils to dial our scopes. How easy would it be to just make targets with .0.36" grids?

A couple years ago I decided to make my own Mil target to zero my mil scope. The grids are in 0.1 mils and continue the entire paper; this means if you hit anywhere on the paper, you'll know how many 0.1 mils to dial.

Also, I made the rings in MOA increments because people like to talk about the accuracy of their gun in MOA. So now you can say "my gun shoots just under 1 MOA," or whatever it is, and you'll actually be using a "MOA" scale (not inches).

See the link below for a pdf and an excel version (the later allowing you to edit it if you'd like). Feel free to copy and share with whomever you'd like.... And hopefully we'll get some manufacturers to wake up and start making these themselves.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u2TnBl_3H41kSrtA_aGmEE6UmZH0v33Y?usp=sharing

Just attaching the pdf version for visibility's sake.

With so much interest in MIL scopes right now, I would think there'd be a lot of interest in something like this. Anyway, just trying to help the community.

Attachments

• Miliradian Zero Target.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 377
I might point out the excellent targets of this sort that are made by BoxToBench Precision. They have zero'ing and testing targets of various kinds and my personal fave, their load development target which does it all. The load dev target isn't paper, it's plastic of a sort so it doesn't care about getting wet and stores exceptionally well for those times when you want to compare prior performance to the current performance.

I draft and plot my own targets using AutoCAD. I set up grids for either mil or moa at various distances.

I draft and plot my own targets using AutoCAD. I set up grids for either mil or moa at various distances.
Because a ruler and a pencil was entirely too complicated? Not that I haven't personally done such things, just pointing out that that's a huge way to go to accomplish something of a small end.

Now that's a really good idea, not sure why I never thought of that that. I can think of a couple different target types that would be helpful. I don't have access to autocad anymore but could use sketchup.

i have always found it funny that Mil guys still measure and brag about their groups in MOA. Where was the last time you heard somebody say I shot a .1 mil group?

You supposedly think in mils and shoot in mils, but its a 1/4 moa rifle.

i have always found it funny that Mil guys still measure and brag about their groups in MOA. Where was the last time you heard somebody say I shot a .1 mil group?

You supposedly think in mils and shoot in mils, but its a 1/4 moa rifle.

It's because of the audience we're talking to. I commonly estimate my group size in mils, but if the guy sitting next to me has no idea how big a mil is then he can't relate to the mil based number. A rifle that will consistently shoot .1 mil groups is a great rifle.

Good deal. I think this is great for people using a SFP, mil based scope. If you're using a FFP then it's kind of superfluous unless you're checking tracking. Just measure with the reticle, make the adjustment and shoot. Even then, if your reticle has subtensions above the crosshair (Mine has 8 mils) a simple way to check tracking with a FFP scope is to dial a certain amount, hold "under"- I.e. dial 2mils and then hold 2 mils low, shoot, and then measure with the reticle, repeat. Simple, fast, and doesn't require a special target.
I agree that a target with a mil-based grid is not necessary. But a lot of things we do as long range shooters/hunters are not totally necessary. I don't need a custom rifle or a $2k+ scope, I don't need to dope out my rifle to 1,400 yards, I don't need to shoot cases of ammo through my hunting rifle every year, and I don't need to draft my own targets. But I certainly don't regret doing any of those things come hunting season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.