Priming tools:

Well after priming a few cartridges, and other insults, my thumb checked out. I've had a long positive experience with the Lee Auto Prime, but not really possible anymore, just not enough left of the joint.

So, I'm looking at what else is available. Something bench mounted i think.

I've looked at the Holland a little online, but looking at everything.
I developed carpal tunnel and thought I was done with the Lee Auto Prime. I rotated it 180 degrees and instead of my thumb doing all the work, the rest of my fingers do it. Works great.

Well after priming a few cartridges, and other insults, my thumb checked out. I've had a long positive experience with the Lee Auto Prime, but not really possible anymore, just not enough left of the joint.

So, I'm looking at what else is available. Something bench mounted i think.

I've looked at the Holland a little online, but looking at everything.

I am of not tall or normal height, just a wee bit short.
Thumbs are good, arthritis attacked my joints. I have my bench mounted on a table with height of 46 inches. This allows me to use my palm mostly without too much gripping required. My son, also height challenged wondered why my table was so high, until he tried it and found it made reloading easier with less strain.

I had a RCBS hand priming tool like I said had now all I use is the bench mounted RCBS priming tool works great

I have used the Forster Co-Ax Bench priming tool quite a bit. Sometimes it is a pain in the buttcheeks to load the tubes. It works good and fairly easy. It has a universal shell holder and it takes a little tinkering to get that adjusted correctly if you used it on different calibers with different case head dimensions.

I use mostly the RCBS hand primer nowadays. Forester also makes a nifty depriming tool as well. Just make sure the primer catching cup stays tight in the tool or you will be scattering used primers all over creation. I know this for a fact.

Everything I have gotten from Holland's had been absolutley top notch. I don't have his priming tool (yet) but recommend giving it a try and just call him first and explain your issues and see if he thinks it would be a good fit.

PLEASE stop wasting money and time like I did for years and get the Lee Ram Prime. It takes NO EFFORT and its dirt cheap. I tried four different expensive tools and couldn't get consistent seating depth for both large and small primers from any of them. You will quickly get the feel for it, even with bad joints like mine. Not one priming mishap or wasted primer since I got it!

+1 for the Lee Ram prime. Simple, reliable, works on any single stage press.

My favourite is the Hornady hand prime. Works without engaging a thumb, but if there is pain in your hand, there are other tools.

The RCBS APS press mounted priming tool was my biggest disappointment. To get it to cycle reliably, I had to make a new primer seating rod to the max diameter that the mechanism can accomodate. The existing one is a bit undersize and wobbles, causing the jams. From the design, it looks like everyone is having the same problem with it.

I have a primer feeding tube setup on my Redding single stage. No need to handle primers except for filling the priming tube. Same primer feed principle as the Hornady progressive press.

Any of the shell holders from the hand held Lee-transfer to the bench mounted?

Just for clarification I've tried the hand prime every way I can imagine. Palm to palm, even pushing the lever against the bench. Hand is painful at rest, and to touch if that helps. Better with cortisone, but trying not to make it angry unnecessarily.

Also looking at alternative ATV throttles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.