priming the 30-378

PaLuke

hello, I have the older (round trays) lee priming tools and my 30-378 cases don't fit in the throat of the priming tool. Will they fit in the newer lee priming tool. I have the proper shell holder I think #14. Thanks for the replies.
PaLuke

You will need to open up the throat of the tool with either a mill, dremel, or like piece to accept the larger cases. The shell holder is not the problem, the holder is.

I think I have one laying around that I opened up a few years ago. I broke the ear off the piece where your thumb pushes against to seat the primer and I never replaced it. I use my bench primer for everything now. Let me know if you want my old one and I'll send it your way..

yes the newer model XR is much bigger where the shell casing goes in my 338-378 fits in it just fine although I have not actually used it to prime any cases yet because my rifle is still at the smiths being assembled, I plan to very soon though !!

Thanks for the replies. I'll try opening mine up and see how it goes. If I run
into trouble with it maybe ill take you up on the offer. Thank you
very much Joel for the offer. I used the primer tool on the press
and it worked well. I'm just starting to break the rifle in today
and was surprised how little it recoiled with the brake. Happy New Years
to everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.