primers

mooser

why are some of you recomending the use of standard primers in magnum loads? If they are better then why bother to make magnums?

No idea what you are talking about. if you name a specific example maybe we could help you out, or better yet go to that thread and ask that person. I have never done it my self and I dont know anyone who has either

'Better' is always a matter of what shoots best for each of us.
And nobody can predict brand or type in brand -as better for you.

why are some of you recomending the use of standard primers in magnum loads? If they are better then why bother to make magnums?

It is a matter on testing the rifle and seeing what works the best in your powder,case and
powder grain amount.

Often a standard primer lowers the Standard Deviation in magnum cases but does not
lower the velocity by very much.

The standard primer can work well in magnum cartriges under 90 grains capacity with some
powders .

Cases that have a case capacity of 90 to 135 grains normally do not respond to the standard
primers well and need magnum primers.

So it is a case of how much powder, what kind of powder and bullet weight.

The 7 STW is about the max that I have found that in some cases responds to standard primers
I have not seen larger cases respond well to them. others may have different results.

J E CUSTOM

The concept of "magnum" is purely arbitrary. Hence, the above references to case capacity.

Using non-magnum primers with a particular load may yield best accuracy and/or lowest standard deviation for MV during load development. But, it could also prove unreliable in extreme cold depending on a number of factors.

If you deviate from conventions and standard practices, it doesn't make it wrong. But, you also don't want to overlook subtle issues that could be problematic.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.