Primers

Brian Rybicky

I'm about to get my 6.5-284 rifle together an I'm wondering what the best primers to use for this gun, Im leaning tward federal 210 match, or would cci match primers be better?

WIth a new rifle this fall I had major problems with CCI primers failing to fire.

Here is a old thread I thought I would rejuvenate since I thinking of tweaking loads with different brands and size primers which I have a somewhat limited amount of. Changing from WLRM to WLR on lighter bullets (175 gr ) in a 300 win mag. If I understand correctly the Win large rifle standard is the hottest Large rifle standard primer. (2) Changing from WLR to Fed 210M in a 7-08 using H4350 with 140 gr FB sierra. Any thoughts or inputs?

I'm about to get my 6.5-284 rifle together an I'm wondering what the best primers to use for this gun, Im leaning tward federal 210 match, or would cci match primers be better?
The best primer in my 6.5 x 284 Norma is S&B my second choice are CCI BR2 I've never had any problems with failing to fire although I have a custom chamber firing pin etc.

Just curious how or if you resolved this.

I had a similar issue in reloads for a 45-70 and CCI primers. I loaded up some rounds w/ Federal Primers, but haven't taken it to shoot yet to see if I get better result.
I've got a Marlin 1895SBL that was shooting great with Fed 210M primers which I normally have on hand. When the Federal primers dried up I switched to CCI but was getting about 30% FTF. I called Grizzly Gunworks who did a complete action job on the rifle and they reminded me that a lighter hammer spring was installed. I replace the hammer spring with a Marlin original AND switched back to Fed primers when I could find a few. The problem was eliminated. The rifle is mainly used for bear hunting and a FTF wasn't an option.

The rifle can be seen in my avatar.

Last edited:
Thanks Varmint Hunter.
I have an 1886 Winchester clone (Chiappa), and the hammer spring is adjustable. I realized the tension screw is backed pretty much all the way out so I may try giving it a little more tension if the swapped primers return the same result.