Primers

I had also heard the military was painfully short on ammo and their demand affected retail.... who kniwsAA was

Well, I am in Boise. Have checked all the local " hangouts" with no success. Seems like Sportsman's has them every blue moon but not small rifle. Scheels in Reno doesn't even have the tags on the shelf anymore for them! Will keep looking. I did pretty good keeping up with magnum and large rifle primers, just didn't stockpile small rifle primers. My mistake!
I am in northern Utah and I have been seeing SRP here and there. If I see them I will let you know. I am sure we could come up with a plan to get them to you.

I went into the Black Sheep in Coeur d Alene Id, looking for any kind of rifle primers, RL16, RL23, RL26, Varget, H4350, H4831, IMR 8208 & Federal TNT .17 HMR ammo and came out with 1000 CCI 500's & 2, 50 round Fed .17 HMR, It says, right on the Tite Group powder container - "A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY" Looks like much monotonous hand gun shooting.

I successfully acquired 1 lb. of IMR 8208 (Golden Rodent Powder) at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Missoula, a few days ago after shooting up 786 grains of same the same day. Their primer shelf was starkly empty.

I saw about 600 Federal large pistol primers at Cabelas last week but no rifle primers.

Last edited:
YOU CAN FIND THEM ON GUNBROKER BUT THEY ARE STUPID EXPENSIVE I SAW A 5000 COUNT OF SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS THAT WERE BID ON FOR OVER A 1000 DOLLARS IF YOU HAVE THEM YOU ARE SITTING ON A PILE OF GOLD RIGHT NOW I HAD 5000 BUT I LOADED THEM ALL IM THINKING ABOUT BRAKING THEM DOWN JUST TO GET THE PRIMERS BACK AND SELL THEM. WHO HAVE THOUGHT THE PRIMERS ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE LOADED ROUNDS

IVE GOT A COUPLE THOUSAND WINCHESTER SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS IF YOU WANT TO TRADE FOR SOME SMALL PISTOL LET ME KNOW MY UPS STORE WIIL LET ME SHIP PRIMERS I ASK POINT BLANK THEY SAID THERE ARE PRIMERS IN LIVE ROUND SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE THEIR WORDS THEY SLAP A ORMD STICKER ON THEM AND SEND THEM OUT FOR ME NO PROBLEM

Primers what are primers???? I do think I saw a unicorn running through the woods the other day though.

Had a club member pass not long back. He had over 100K of primers. Wife donated all his reloading supplied, equipment to the club. We were selling bricks for $20 each. Stocked up on SR, LR, SP ans LP. Had enought on hand that when my nephew ran into the same problem I GAVE him a case of SR and a case of SP. But then that's what uncles are for right

This is the fourth or fifth shortage situation I can recall since about the early 1990s. I used to buy powders in 1 lb. cans and a thousand primers at a time. I've found it much easier and more convenient to buy cartons of 5,000 primers and kegs of powder when they are plentiful and priced right. Initial cost may be a bit high, but it's money well spent and that stuff will keep.

I'm in good shape at the moment, but when I used to run short, I'd check Powder Valley at least daily. Fairly often, though certainly not regularly, they would have a particular primer or powder in stock. It was never for long, so I had to order immediately if I wanted it. I'm sure it's the same situation for other suppliers. I don't think these businesses know what they are going to receive or when they will receive it.

I've been looking for Large Pistol primers for a couple of months since I gave mine to a local hunter safety instructor. I'm not in dire need as I don't shoot much pistol ammo but I was hoping for a little more when a new suppressor finally gets out of ATF jail. My plan is to use some of my large pistol magnum primers and work up a 45 ACP load if I get jammed.

I have had CC41s on backorder with my LGS for months but I'm not worried as I have a comfortable supply of Federal/ CCI alternatives. My go to approach in the past was to go to Powder Valley and place large back order for what I wanted and then wait for it to eventually come in. This worked well for me but PV has since quit taking back orders and there doesn't seem to be too many of the larger non-gouging vendors who will take back orders any more. (Or at least I haven't found any that will take a back order for primers) Playing the game of getting notified and responding fast enough hasn't worked too well for me as I don't spend all day sitting at a computer.

I have also noticed that bullet selections for .22, .45 and other common defense rounds like 300 BO mostly say out of stock. I have done well with Starline brass for getting 300 BO, and 5.56 brass because they will take back orders, ship for free, and don't gouge.

Sorry I can't provide very constructive suggestions for your SR primer needs. Hitting the ads on the forum or talking with your buddies at the range might provide some relief as a lot of people in the community are willing to try to help out others if they can reasonably do so.

IVE GOT A COUPLE THOUSAND WINCHESTER SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS IF YOU WANT TO TRADE FOR SOME SMALL PISTOL LET ME KNOW MY UPS STORE WIIL LET ME SHIP PRIMERS I ASK POINT BLANK THEY SAID THERE ARE PRIMERS IN LIVE ROUND SO WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE THEIR WORDS THEY SLAP A ORMD STICKER ON THEM AND SEND THEM OUT FOR ME NO PROBLEM
Thank you brother. Unfortunately I never hand loaded pistol before so I dont have anything you need. I will eventually come across some. Thx for your consideration!

So why can you find all the primers you want in Canada and a few other countries. Is it because of less demand and therefore it takes longer to deplete the stock? Or is there more to it than that?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.