Primers

ptb

Curious how hard everyone is finding primers to locate. Reason I ask is that I often see posts that tell readers when hard to find powders are available, but have rarely if ever seen posts telling where rifle primers are now available. Been looking for Winchester or CCI small rifle primers for quite a while. Are they just not available AT ALL, or hit and miss like RE 26, H1000, Retumbo ect. Anyway just curious. As always thx for taking time to give input.

I've not found any online at all. I have been hitting a couple different stores a couple times a week to try to get a box of 1000 of a couple different brands so that I have enough for load development and then plenty of shooting after development. I finally scored a box of federal LR primers recently. I could have bought a box of cci 200 a couple weeks ago, but didn't because I already had some. Most of the time when I see some available, it's just a few sleeves of 100.

Check your local classifieds often. You might find a seller that isn't gouging.

Are they harder to find than the "hard to find" powders. I haven't even seen any in months!

Online retailers were completely dry for the most part. A couple of weeks ago, the big names seemed to get a fresh supply because they all had limited stock available for about a week between them. You had to have an alert setup or a bot constantly refreshing to get any. I actually had some in my cart, but by the time I hit submit they had sold out within a couple of minutes of them going online. I haven't gotten an alerts about back in stock in at least 3 weeks.

I talked with a couple of LGS, and they both have back orders in for several 100k, but don't expect those orders to be filled for a long time.

I try to place back orders when available and then just wait to receive them.... but then again I learned during the obummer era to keep plenty in stock and buy in bulk -- its gonna be this way for a while im sure
Same here! I started buying 1k or more each time I went to the gunstore after Trump was elected and they became available again. Enough trips to gun store over 4 years and my supply is adequate. There is one gunshop here that has a decent amount of primers but they only allow 1k at a time. Anyway yeah I learned my lesson on primers after the last blue president.

The good news is if you get desperate the primers aren't as bad as powder is on gunbroker. You can get 1000 primers for $100, high is still a big markup But nothing like what they are asking for powder, like $100/lb. I wont buy powder on GB but I can convince myself to pay $100 for primers rather than risking going dry.

i have gotten fortunate and found all the powders I have been looking for - I have had the best luck checking this forum and seeing people say that powder is in stock, but you have to move quickly. I have gotten H4831sc, H1000, RL26, and retumbo in the last 2 months.

I've found the most at my local bps honestly. I saw a few at brownells and some other places last week but was at work and didn't have the time. Brownells had br4 last week and they sold out in under 2 min

Ok gents. Will just keep looking. I am finding powder easier to get than primers.

Well, I am in Boise. Have checked all the local " hangouts" with no success. Seems like Sportsman's has them every blue moon but not small rifle. Scheels in Reno doesn't even have the tags on the shelf anymore for them! Will keep looking. I did pretty good keeping up with magnum and large rifle primers, just didn't stockpile small rifle primers. My mistake!

This is as bad as I've ever seen it. Powder valley wrote an article and referenced the upcoming shortage about six or eight months ago. Seems like with the Covid shut downs and political scares etc. it was a perfect storm for there to be a huge lag in primers. They thought it might last over a year in the article. I feel lucky because I took it seriously and bought quite a few

Curious how hard everyone is finding primers to locate. Reason I ask is that I often see posts that tell readers when hard to find powders are available, but have rarely if ever seen posts telling where rifle primers are now available. Been looking for Winchester or CCI small rifle primers for quite a while. Are they just not available AT ALL, or hit and miss like RE 26, H1000, Retumbo ect. Anyway just curious. As always thx for taking time to give input.
From my dealer who is also a fellow veteran and a dear friend I'm informed that the Federal Government and agency's related to it, every Military Branch, and then finally the Boys in Blue across the entire United States have contracts that must be filled from all the major suppliers of ammunition.
To that end all these departments must and will be supplied ammunition as stipulated in their contracts.
So what that boils down to is these various agency's get first crack at ammunition.
If the monthly quotas are met any overage trickle down into the private sectors.
This includes all the components needed in the assembly of ammunition as well ( i.e. brass shell cases, powder, bullets and finally primers ) , hence the shortage.
It 's the old adage
" The law of Supply & Demand all over again "
So there you have it !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.