Primers falling out???

ricknolan

25-06AI, Winchester Brass, Winchester Large Rifle Primers and about 1/3 of the primers are loose or fall out after setting them. What is up?

This brass has been used maybe 3 times and after I size the brass, I clean the pocket and ream the pocket with an RCBS Case Mate then polish. Do I need to stop reaming the pocket or is there another problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
Either the load you are shooting is to hot and stretching the case or you are reaming the primer pocket to much.

Thats my opinion.

Jeff

I'm going to agree with the above. Either the load is hot and stretching the brass, or you are reaming too much. I ream my brass once, and leave it alone. If its not cleaned as part of my regualr cleaning regimine then I give it a twist or two with my crocogator or other cleaning tool.

JeffVN

You might want to mic the OD on the primers.I've noticed the Winchester primers I've used seemed a whole lot looser to seat in the primer pocket than CCI primers.

the primer pocket reamer that i have only cuts on the bottom of the pocket, but i still only do this once to new brass. after that i clean them each time before tumbling. i also agree with the CCI primers being a tad larger in size, or it feels that way because the cup is actually a little harder.

It could possibly be a combination of the primer pocket in the brass being factory made slightly oversized and the primers being slightly undersized.Just a little in opposite directions equals a lot.You might want to contact Winchester and let them know about your problem.

I use my primer pocket reamer to clean my primer pockets after every firing. They cut the bottom of the hole not the sides. IMO your over pressure.

I'm with eddybo on this one. I use it to clean mine after every firing and it doesn't effect the diameter of the primer pocket. You are running your load a little on the hot side.

I agree with all of the above.
I think to hot a load is the primary reason. I also use the Lee auto prime.
When re-priming if the primer just goes in way to easy I pitch the brass. I have had primers back all the way out. This really messes thing up when using auto loaders.
My rule of thumb - if I am in doubt about a case - pitch it!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.