Primers and brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RangerBrad, Oct 23, 2011.

1. RangerBrad

RangerBrad Well-Known Member

I have several diffrent types of brass for my 25-06, Brass from shooting manufactured rounds, Hornady, Winchester, HSM.

Also My father-in-law bought me Remmington primers as he knew I want to start reloading However, I've heard others are using CCI BR-2 primers with good results.

My question is will using diffrent brands of brass give me inconsistant results with my reloads and are all primers simiarlly equal and if not how do the remmingtons add up? Thank's, Brad

2. BIG MO

BIG MO Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Remington primers. Using brass from all different brands is a no go for several good reasons. Different capacities, different neck tension= different pressures, different velocities=poor consistent accuracy. Pick the one brand you have the most pieces of and start there or pick up a fresh pack of 50.

3. RangerBrad

OK, After going through them I have 14 marked Frontier(not sure what brand they came out of). 40 R-P from Remmington. I have 37 Honady and 59 WW Super that came from winchester and HSM as HSM must use Winchester brass. Looks like I'll be going with the WW Super only because that is what I have most of however, what brand would yal recommend and what do yal do with the excess brass? I hate to see it go to waste. Thank's Brad

4. RangerBrad

Also, how will it effect consistant accuracy when I have to purchase and reload unfired brass when some of this brass is used up? Will it also be inaccurate till also oncce fired then reloaded or shoud it shoot the same as my reloads as long as it is the same brand? Kind of confusing but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Thank's, Brad

5. dig

dig Well-Known Member

You may certainly use the off brands of brass for load development or closer practice, load all of the same brass/load.

6. T3-OleMan

T3-OleMan Well-Known Member

Use the other brands for fowling shots...same powder-primer-bullet.