Primer test

jsthntn247

I have a load developed for my 7mm Rem Mag. I am now going to test three different kinds of magnum primers and see which one gives the best groups and best average velocity. The the load is 69.5 grains of Hodgdon 1000 pushing a 162 grain bullet. I decided to do this test since I only had a few 215 Match primers left and can't find anymore. Anybody care to guess which will be the most consistent.

Fed 215 Magnum Rifle Gold Match
CCI Magnum Rifle
Fed 215 Magnum Rifle Standard

I have also done some of this type of testing with multiple rifles and powders.

My findings:

1. Regardless of the powder or rifles (one being a very nice custom rifle), the Federal Magnum Match primers showed absolutely no difference from their Federal Magnum primers. None, nada, zilch. I am no match shooter and this is just my observation. I could be incorrect but I am no longer drinking that kool-aid.

2. Different rifles, different powders with different primers gave different results but once a powder and primer were matched with the rifle, the results were static most of the time. In other words, the rifle chose the primer\powder combination; not the reloader and not the company pushing the primer sales.

My conclusion is to have multiple brands and test what works best for what rifle I am reloading for. This way I am benefiting most and getting the best bang for my dollar rather than the companys gettting it.

The hard core bench rest shooters at my club claim experiences with lot to lot differences, within the same brand. The buy their primers in bricks of 5000.

My last primer purchase was 10k of each type I needed. Primers are relatively cheap, why not stock up.

Have a good one,
Gary

Well..... and I could be very wrong on this.... but the legal amount allowed by law per ATF is 10,000.

Again I could be wrong.

hmm.... good thing I have used a GOODLY amount of what i had bought then !! :) I am down far enough now I was thinking of the next SALE to buy more :)

Gary
P.S. Pistol Primers don't last very long.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.