Primer Seating?

Like a swage on military rounds?
There is a tool to remove the swage but have not seen a tool to give it the swage like some I have seen on military rounds

Take that swaging tool instead of the spud that goes into the pocket, face that off and machine a pocket that larger the primer pocket. Then chamfer the outside into somewhat of a knife edge to grab the edge of the primer pocket.

The operation is similar to the swaging operation

Can modify the tool on the lathe or using mill and 5C collet indexer with sacrificial collet that you can mill a pocket in it to hold the swaging tool. Once sacrificial collet is machined, clamp the swaging tool, verify center with coaxial indicator. Mill away.

Here's an example: The 5C sacrificial brass collet I used to modify the windage knob for my M1 and M1A 1/2 minute windage ball and detent. Never like the NM rotatable rear sight aperture for half minute clicks

Resized_DSC_3463_527216515209816.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch, ordering one today.
There was a time when it really didn't matter if you lost a few primers
Not the case anymore.
The brass does'nt HAVE to be trashed if the pockets are loose. You can always set them on a ball bearing and strike the inside of the case with a punch directly over the flash hole. This will tighten the pocket.

Wow in 55+ years of reloading I never came across this issue. I have lots of loaded ammo using the same case brand and same # of firings which I use for hunting. But I also have plinking loads of mixed brass that I shoot just for fun. I do notice when loading these mixed cases that some primers go in easier than others but there is always some resistance when seating with my hand primer.
Note: Before anyone goes off on me for using mixed cases, I never load to max. I always find my best accuracy somewhere below.
If you have never encountered this issue (in 55 years of reloading, no less), then either you have loaded on the mild side exclusively, haven't reloaded that much volume or have been extremely lucky to get great quality brass. Anyone who loads for performance will eventually encounter enlarged primer pockets. To a small degree, one can use primers that tend to run slightly larger to get another load or two out of a "tired" case. In large rifle primers, I find Federal to fit more snug than Winchester, or Remington. CCI typically seats a little easier than Federal but more firm than Winchester or Remington. Wolf small rifle primers also seem a little larger than domestic brands. 5.56/.223 range brass seems to be the most likely suspect as many like to load to max for their AR's. I check all my range pickups with the Ballistic Tools go/no go primer pocket gauge.

I had a buddy that cheaped out on everything!I still talk to him on the phone.
Back in the middle 70's he loaded 7mm mag cases and some primers were way too easy to go in so he glued them in!
When he fired one it burned an extra hole in his bolt face and ruined his bolt face and firing pin.The gunsmith told him he was lucky as some get serious injuries over gluing a primer in place.We both learned a lesson over that.
When the swage tool says the primer pocket is too large I throw the brass in trash.

Remember that they have 2 different tools,one for small rifle primers and one for large rifle primers
I have a friend that so cheap, when he farts, he whistles.

The brass does'nt HAVE to be trashed if the pockets are loose. You can always set them on a ball bearing and strike the inside of the case with a punch directly over the flash hole. This will tighten the pocket.
Just because you can force brass to hold a primer again, continuing to use it after it has plastically deformed the case head/web is NOT a good idea.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

+1 , I do this and watch for a black ring around the fired primer . when I find a slightly loose fitting primer , I'll color the primer with a sharpie . next load if it's still loose I know to keep an eye on it . sometimes the next load the primer feels like it has good resistance when seating .

View attachment 386309
Good Info.

What primers are you using?

You'll need to discover whether it's a small primer issue, or a large pocket issue. Then contact the corresponding manufacturer about a manufacturer defect replacement.

If the primers go in too easily, you'll be likely to lose the primer during firing. It may be dangerous, as it's possible there will not be enough of a gas seal and the pressure will leak around the circumference of the primer, which can jet through the firing pin hole in the bolt face. This can damage the bolt face, as well as potentially come straight out between your cocking piece and bolt shroud, depending on your bolt design... and into your eye.

It's not trivial.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The brass is from factory ammo, not brass sold for reloading. I doubt the manufacturer will replace the brass.

I had this problem recently. I have always used Federal or CCI primers. Due to shortages I purchased some Winchester primers at a local gun store ( 200 limit) as I was down to my last 100 Federal 215s. The primer pockets on my brass have loosened up a little after being reloaded 4-5 times, but will still firmly hold the Federal Primers. I tried the Winchester primers and was disappointed to find they fall out of many of the cases that will firmly hold the Federal primers.

The brass is from factory ammo, not brass sold for reloading. I doubt the manufacturer will replace the brass.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about factory new unfired brass.

In that case, this is VERY common and I see it all the time. Factory ammo is often loaded so hot, that you can't get another firing out of it. It's wrecked on shot #1.

Any brass that has the pockets blown out after firing #1 should absolutely be thrown away. Do not attempt to rescue or reuse.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This is a simple tool I use when reloading.
Its a Balliastic Tools Swage Gage.They have both smal rifle primer and large rifle primer tools.There is a go side and a no go side and if the no go side fits the brass goes into the trash can.
I hate it for you but thats what we get now,sub par brass from the git go.
Yes...this is an essential piece to have....use it always even on new brass

I was speaking of new brass with slightly oversized primer pockets not brass that's been loaded a dozen times or fired under extreme overpressure. Brand new brass should'nt have deformed case head or web, but it could very easily have slightly oversized primer pockets. In which case tightening the pocket should be a viable option.