Primer Seating?

cbk57

I use an FA hand primer seater, I am reloading some federal brass for my 300WM these cases came from factory ammo they are getting reloaded for the first time, the primer goes in the pocket extremely easy where as my Peterson and Nosler brass you have to put a minimal amount of pressure to seat the primer.
My question is on the Federal brass is it safe to load & fire this case?

What primers are you using?

You'll need to discover whether it's a small primer issue, or a large pocket issue. Then contact the corresponding manufacturer about a manufacturer defect replacement.

If the primers go in too easily, you'll be likely to lose the primer during firing. It may be dangerous, as it's possible there will not be enough of a gas seal and the pressure will leak around the circumference of the primer, which can jet through the firing pin hole in the bolt face. This can damage the bolt face, as well as potentially come straight out between your cocking piece and bolt shroud, depending on your bolt design... and into your eye.

It's not trivial.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This is a simple tool I use when reloading.
Its a Balliastic Tools Swage Gage.They have both smal rifle primer and large rifle primer tools.There is a go side and a no go side and if the no go side fits the brass goes into the trash can.
I hate it for you but thats what we get now,sub par brass from the git go.

This is a simple tool I use when reloading.
Its a Balliastic Tools Swage Gage.They have both smal rifle primer and large rifle primer tools.There is a go side and a no go side and if the no go side fits the brass goes into the trash can.
I hate it for you but thats what we get now,sub par brass from the git go.
Thanks a bunch, ordering one today.
There was a time when it really didn't matter if you lost a few primers
Not the case anymore.

Wow in 55+ years of reloading I never came across this issue. I have lots of loaded ammo using the same case brand and same # of firings which I use for hunting. But I also have plinking loads of mixed brass that I shoot just for fun. I do notice when loading these mixed cases that some primers go in easier than others but there is always some resistance when seating with my hand primer.
Note: Before anyone goes off on me for using mixed cases, I never load to max. I always find my best accuracy somewhere below.

I had a buddy that cheaped out on everything!I still talk to him on the phone.
Back in the middle 70's he loaded 7mm mag cases and some primers were way too easy to go in so he glued them in!
When he fired one it burned an extra hole in his bolt face and ruined his bolt face and firing pin.The gunsmith told him he was lucky as some get serious injuries over gluing a primer in place.We both learned a lesson over that.
When the swage tool says the primer pocket is too large I throw the brass in trash.

Remember that they have 2 different tools,one for small rifle primers and one for large rifle primers

Are there any primer crimping die to screw in a standard 7/8-14 press thread to give those brass one last firing before discarding? I would think the US type full circumference crimp would do trick.

I have an idea how to make one, but would rather purchase one if available.

Thanks. Read them.

These tightens the primer pockets, but not crimp the primer like military rounds.

I recently went to prime some Quality Cartridge cases with CCI BR-2 primers and they seated rather easily with little effort. I tapped them on the bench at a slight angle and the primers didn't come close to falling out. After firing they were just fine and looked normal. If the primers don't fall out of your cases, I'd call it good.

I recently went to prime some Quality Cartridge cases with CCI BR-2 primers and they seated rather easily with little effort. I tapped them on the bench at a slight angle and the primers didn't come close to falling out. After firing they were just fine and looked normal. If the primers don't fall out of your cases, I'd call it good.
+1 , I do this and watch for a black ring around the fired primer . when I find a slightly loose fitting primer , I'll color the primer with a sharpie . next load if it's still loose I know to keep an eye on it . sometimes the next load the primer feels like it has good resistance when seating .

P4040072.JPG

Are there any primer crimping die to screw in a standard 7/8-14 press thread to give those brass one last firing before discarding? I would think the US type full circumference crimp would do trick.

I have an idea how to make one, but would rather purchase one if available.
Like a swage on military rounds?
There is a tool to remove the swage but have not seen a tool to give it the swage like some I have seen on military rounds