Primer Question

RyanG

Ok so here goes..... I am kind of new to reloading... been doing it for about a year now. I have had some old timers give me tips and pointers. My question for today is how much does the primer matter. Does it matter if you use a magnum primer for any large rifle, like say, 22-250.... I am getting ready to load up some 308's and right now only have magnum primers. Any help here would be awesome....

Ryan

Ryan, yes , primers Do make a difference! Use the reloading manuals; more than one. Each have a wealth of knowledge in them. Don't just read the reloading chapters either; the best info is before (and after) the loading sections.
As to your question about primer differences; they do make a considerable difference and can get you into trouble by using the wrong ones. If you use a standard primer with ball powders in a "magnum" cartridge; that can lead to misfires and/or hangfires and poor accuracy. If you use a magnum primer where a standard one is indicated by the loading manual; you will get into high pressures and serious consequences! That's just a couple cases. It's very important to work up loads; always start low and work up. Some of the best results won't be at the top. Each gun is a law unto it's own; what works in one won't always work in another. Being careful as you load is most important. Listen to those folks who have had a long and successful reloading experience; and read the books !
Charles

Thank you so much....

I have been reading just about everything I can get my hands on. I have an "old timer" buddy who only uses standard primers in all his loading no matter what. he think I crazy for being so.....picky....about my brass and it being just perfect.... Im glad that I asked... hope that I didnt give the impression that I was going to "just try" it... I come from a background of tying flies so I completely understand the finer details... but still way learning here... I wasnt able to locate any match primers where I live so I will have to just wait until I get to the City one of these days... Again thank you for your time....

Ryan

Ok so here goes..... I am kind of new to reloading... been doing it for about a year now. I have had some old timers give me tips and pointers. My question for today is how much does the primer matter. Does it matter if you use a magnum primer for any large rifle, like say, 22-250.... I am getting ready to load up some 308's and right now only have magnum primers. Any help here would be awesome....

Ryan

I agree with other forum members - you have to work up loads on different primers. Primers are the spark plug of a cartidge. Like you tune a carburator you can use primers and different loads to tune for the best combination. With ball powder I always use magnum primers. With slow burning and large capacity brass I also like to use magnum primers. If you only have magnum primers, then start at least 10% lower than a previous load with standard primers. Work up in 0.3gr sessions and check for pressure signs.

RyanG, that was some good, sage advise from Reloader 222. Enjoy reloading, but pay attention to the details ! It's great when you take a load to the range and find it shoots lights out without high pressures. I say again, read the books !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.