Primer question

Coues Sniper

I'm just starting to reload, and am getting components together. I think I've got a pretty good idea of some stuff to start with for my 300 RUM, but I have a question about primers. Seems the Federal 215's are pretty popular for the caliber, but is there a difference between the regular 215's and the Gold 215's? I assume the tolerances are higher on the Gold's? If that's the case, I'd rather go with the Golds but i can't seem to find any (i did find some of the regular 215's). Should i just go with the regulars? I'm trying to build as accurate a long range hunting load as i can. Can anyone point me to some of the Gold 215's? (PM's would be fine) I'd be willing to buy some off of someone, if they'd part with any that is :D. Thanks guys.

Kevin

My opinion based upon years of shooting highpower rifle, not benchrest, is that the match primers are a little more consistent. Some consistently better and some consistently worse than non-gold primers. It depends upon the rifle and the caliber andpowder. The 300 Rum is not a typical benchrest caliber (I am sure you already knew that) so determining small differences primers make between match and non-match primers may be difficult.

In the end you have to look at your particular rifle and your particular load to see which primers makes any significant difference. You'll need a good chronograph to help in the determination. Ranges such as 200 yards or less may also mask any vertical stringing from primer variance. I would suggest any testing be done at 300+ yards if just looking at groups. My 300 Rum custom 10 twist, prefers CCI magnum over Gold primers. So use what you can find to start with.

I have not seen anyone interested in selling small quantities of primers in a few years. I guess because of the extra fee for shipping. Good luck!!

My opinion based upon years of shooting highpower rifle, not benchrest, is that the match primers are a little more consistent. Some consistently better and some consistently worse than non-gold primers. It depends upon the rifle and the caliber and powder. The 300 Rum is not a typical benchrest caliber (I am sure you already knew that) so determining small differences primers make between match and non-match primers may be difficult.

In the end you have to look at your particular rifle and your particular load to see which primers makes any significant difference. You'll need a good chronograph to help in the determination. Look for small extreme spread in velocity. Ranges such as 200 yards or less may also mask any vertical stringing from primer variance. I would suggest any testing be done at 300+ yards if just looking at groups. My 300 Rum custom 10 twist, prefers CCI magnum over Gold primers. So use what you can find to start with.

I have not seen anyone interested in selling small quantities of primers in a few years. I guess because of the extra fee for shipping. Good luck!!

I'm just starting to reload, and am getting components together. I think I've got a pretty good idea of some stuff to start with for my 300 RUM, but I have a question about primers. Seems the Federal 215's are pretty popular for the caliber, but is there a difference between the regular 215's and the Gold 215's? I assume the tolerances are higher on the Gold's? If that's the case, I'd rather go with the Golds but i can't seem to find any (i did find some of the regular 215's). Should i just go with the regulars? I'm trying to build as accurate a long range hunting load as i can. Can anyone point me to some of the Gold 215's? (PM's would be fine) I'd be willing to buy some off of someone, if they'd part with any that is :D. Thanks guys.

Kevin

Buy a few different ones, magnum, and non magnum. You can't know what's gonna work best in YOUR gun with YOUR recipe.

I can't find Federal Match primers anywhere around here so I tried out the CCI BR-2s and had a slight improvement in consistency over Rem 9 1/2s. My attitude is that if an improvement is measurable, then its worth the trouble to know that my ammo is the very best it can be.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.