Primer Question

Noticed that you just joined the LRH web site a couple of months back. Possibly new to reloading? Reloading is an precise science. Change one thing and you change everything. What about changing powder, seating depth,,,,??? ooops, purchased IMR 4350 instead of H 4350, RE 12 vs RE 17 all are same - same right? Hmm, at $35.00 - $45.00+-, does not seem worth the effort and potential problems - dangers. I suggest you don't start out experimenting.
Thanks for looking out for us!!! I have been reloading for about three years, but still consider myself a novice so am always asking and making changes when warranted. I also find it safer to ask before I do, hence this one.

Yes Thanks Mike. Agreed. My comment was posed as a cautionary question - statement that, one should not deviate from "qualified professional" load formula's. Things may seem similar, but again, changing one thing can change everything,,, and not always for the better.

Further to the original question, A few years back, A-Squared did a test of various primers and the results showed how different primers can alter - increase pressure by a considerable amount. https://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm
Noting your comment "posed as a cautionary question - statement that, one should not deviate from "qualified professional" load formula's" I whole heartedly agree. On a side note, trying to find load data for Berry's Bullets is an example of trying to find "expert" load data and not just accept other's random recipes with out lots of backup data. Takes time and research that is for sure!!!!

My 280AI worked much better with mag primers. Started over completely with load development as we always do. Was using CCI BR2. It eliminated random pressure issues. So, you never know until you develop loads.

Following advice from several of those commenting, I contacted Federal; Here their reply :
"Pete,
You can not sub out large magnum primers for standard large rifle primers. You can experience performance and worse pressure issues.
Thanks
Federal"
I guess my next attempt will contacting some other manufacturers to get advice or comments from ballistics experts. As a separate note: I accidently bought a used Weber natural gas grill at a church auction and contacted Weber to see what I needed to convert it to propane. They said I could not do that. So I found another grill on craigslist for $10, bought it, and swapped out the burner manifold system to make it a propane grill. Total was $55.00 for a $700.00 Weber Grill. I suspect liability issues drive some answers.

In one of Nosler's prior Loading Manuals (maybe number 2 or 3) there was a notation at the bottom of the page where the technitions discussed optimal powders for reloading where it was also noted that sometimes they had noted improved accuracy with the use of magnum primers - this was for the 270 Win as best as I can recall-FWIW info.

Yes Thanks Mike. Agreed. My comment was posed as a cautionary question - statement that, one should not deviate from "qualified professional" load formula's. Things may seem similar, but again, changing one thing can change everything,,, and not always for the better.

Further to the original question, A few years back, A-Squared did a test of various primers and the results showed how different primers can alter - increase pressure by a considerable amount. https://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm
I do deviate from the hand loading books, but with caution. Some of my hand loads are 5+ grains over that the manual states as max load. My groups are less than 3/4" at 100 yds Velocity are 200 to 400 fps faster than that the manual call out for. I have purchase several reloading manuals of over the years. Mostly because new powders, and new cases, that have come out over the years. With Long Range Shooting coming of age, things have really changed. Faster twist in the barrels, heavier bullets, heavier power loads, and longer barrels. Keep reading the blogs, you will learn a lot from it.

You can try any primer you like as long as you work up to the max for your gun. It's almost a given the match shooters using the 6br and derivatives are using cci 450 primers. These are magnum primers in a very small case of about 30 grains of powder. In the 300wsm my load is around 61 grains and my best accuracy comes from a 210m. Not a magnum. I try alot of various primers when doing load development. The key is just reduce your charge and work back up. But you do that anytime you change something in your load. Try them in your gun and see if it likes them.
Shep

In one of Nosler's prior Loading Manuals (maybe number 2 or 3) there was a notation at the bottom of the page where the technitions discussed optimal powders for reloading where it was also noted that sometimes they had noted improved accuracy with the use of magnum primers - this was for the 270 Win as best as I can recall-FWIW info.
With slower powders I think it can help?

I accidentally bought a box (1000) of Federal Large Rifle Magnum Primers (215M) instead of just regular 210 M Federal Match Primers.

The question: Can I use the Magnum primers, and if so, what do I need to change? "Someone" wrote "Yes, if you back off X grains of powder." Anyone have an actual workable answer or should I just try to sell them? Thanks in advance.
would you be interested in selling the primers? needing some to reload. Thnx...

I am shooting an F-Class Savage Model 12 F/TR .308

If you are using this for a Fclass, I would suggest getting different primers. I do not know one top shooter that uses magnum primers in a 308 and gets the consistency and accuracy required to be competitive........I'm sure there have been exceptions in the past like everything else.

Need to back down by about 7% and check for pressure signs, and more up from there. I am not long range shooter, but have used mag primes. There is a lot of people that use mag primers, so you can probably can sell them to a friend or somebody.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.