Primer question

MT257

If a manual calls for a Fed 210 is there a difference in the Fed 210 and Fed 210GM? Reason I ask is the GM are locally in stock and the 210 is not.

257, the consensus on this forum is no noticeable difference between the two. Some say the Match 210's have an extra inspection during the manufacturing process. I have both seeing no differences between them. Good luck

When the shortages first showed up several years ago, I did comparisons between the two with both the 210 and 215 Federal primers, a couple of different lots each. I found no difference in velocity, accuracy, or ES. Usied my 6.5kx284 with 57grs of Retumbo/140 VLD/F210, and my 300WM with 76gr of H1000/210VLD/F215. Both rifles run ES<12FPS.

Agree with the rest in that I've never noticed any difference when switching from a standard primer to a match one. For safety sake ,if you have already worked up a load with a 210, I would back off a few grains and work back up with the 210M.

But the Red boxes of the GM primers are more attractive. Red is so sporty, and also is associated with victory. Blue boxes are sad. :confused:

I currently have both versions because I only just recently bought some GM in 210 and 215- the local shop was out of the standard, so that's why I have red boxes now. When my blues run out, I'll switch to the reds, and when those get close to running out, I'll pick up more of whatever's available.

Precision reload here, I get just a slight difference in Standard Deviations between the two but not enough to make a difference to me out to the 1200m I shoot.

The way you know anything is to test it. I've tested primers and seen no describable difference in accuracy and then again, I've seen huge differences. Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. We love our formulas. Problem is... our formulas really aren't formulas. At best, they're observations that reveal... not much. Fool around with things and then you'll know. Forget internet logic. Just dick around and you'll be the smartest person in the room despite all the ancillary noise. Seriousness... buy some primers (a bunch of 'em) and test them. I get it. Who want's to go the the range and test primers? Not me. Still... till you do it, you don't know.

Hero shots are for heroes. Personally... I'd just as soon be the guy who knows where his bullet is going, most of the time.

Primers, powders, bullets... it's alchemy. Figure out a load and your the man.

Got filled in on Federal primers a couple years ago by guy that guided some Federal execs. The "M" actually designated that they met military standards and as such needed one more visual inspection over regular primers. Federal marketing then started labeling them "Match" when they sold them to the general public.

Thanks for the repsonses. Sounds like the two are comparable yes I understannd shooting them side by side is the only way to know, but the only reason this question was raised the 210GM are the only one available where I am or I would have bought both. So I guess I will go grab some and get to shooting! Thanks!

If a manual calls for a Fed 210 is there a difference in the Fed 210 and Fed 210GM? Reason I ask is the GM are locally in stock and the 210 is not.

I agree with the previous posts. Having said that, don't be afraid to try other primers too. That's the fun and interesting part of reloading ... "discovery".

My personal primer of choice in order ...
1. CCI
2. Federal
3. Winchester
4. Remington

A couple of years ago, I was developing a load for my .300 WSM and surprisingly, the best velocity and group was from a Remington 9 1/2M primer.

Posting the following charts for what it is worth ...

INmhTJp.jpg

bbKdHLl.png

gwyHGem.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.