Primer pushed out

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by smokeumm, May 1, 2014.

1. smokeumm

smokeumm Well-Known Member

My step father gave me his 6.5x55 military Mauser which was customized into a modern hunting rifle to sight it in using factory ammo. After firing three rounds I noticed the primer was pushed out. Would this be dangerous to continue shooting? I’m planning to necksize the once fired brass, but first I have to shoot three boxes of factory ammo to accumulate brass. What would you guys do? Thank you!
    photo.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Trnelson

Trnelson Well-Known Member

I'd check the headspace. I suspect it may close on the NO-GO gauge. I wouldn't fire it again until it is verified as being within tolerance.

3. digger11

digger11 Well-Known Member

Headspacing problem or could need to have the firing pin bushed a little.Either way I don't think I would keep blasting away,,,unless your mother in law says she will fire em((GRIN)

4. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Big +1, get someone with a go/no go gauge to check it. While you are waiting, put layers of tape on the case head until you feel slight pressure when closing the bolt, measure how thick one piece of tape is and multiply by the number of laters of tape, that is ROUGHLY your max headspace. Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when doing this.

5. smokeumm

smokeumm Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help. I will check the head space. In the mean time I'll loan the gun to my mother inlaw hahaha.

6. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add, do the tape thing on an unfired case, pull the bullet if need be.

7. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I've had primers barely push out when fire-forming brass for .30-06 AI, but it was because the variations in the bullet's ogive not being 100% seated up on the lands. Other than that, I've never had them back out, even slightly...

I'm in agreement with the others, have the headspace checked and if it's off...Have that chamber reset back to a .002" headspace. No more than .004".

Just my thoughts.