primer pocket uniforming question???

JustC

If I use the RCBS uniformer for my 280AI cases, do I twist the cutter in the pocket recess until no shavings exist, thus making sure that each case has the same depth primer pocket? I have simply twisted them until they were bright and clean inside, but upon using the latter method this weekend, i noticed much more material being removed from some cases than others. Did I finally do it correctly, and therefore possibly solve my "flyer" problem? If this is incorrect, can someone help me to get as close to exact as I can with the pockets and the uniformer?

Thanks

The point of using the primer pocket uniformer is to uniform the depth of the pocket. The primer pocket tool should be designed in a way that allows it to work with your primers so that the depth of a pressed in primer is .003 to .008 thousanths of and inch below the base of the case. It does not matter where your primers bottom out within the range stated above, it only matters that they bottom out to exactly the same depth.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.