Primer Pocket Resizing and Runout?

Tumbleweed

Has anyone used the Mounting Solutions Plus "Case Saver" primer pocket resizer? The case sits upside down on a pedestal and you carefully hammer a tool into the primer pocket to resize it. My concern is that this tool has recently caused some runout issues with my brass. Now the easy way to check this would be to put my loaded rounds in a concentricity guage and measure them, but I don't have that tool as of yet. My set up is .5 MOA or better until recently, the only thing that has changed has been a resizing of the primer pockets on about 25 rounds of brass on my last reloads. Just wondered what your thoughts were and if any of you have had the same experiences. I will be borrowing a concentricity guage from my smith right away though. Thanks

It sounds like a great way to extend the life of your brass, but at the expense of accuracy.

I just can't see how beating on your brass with a hammer is going to enhance accuracy.

-- richard

For some it could be patching a much bigger or unsafe problem. I am touching the rifling and this is a fairly hot load but a SAFE load. Accuracy is exceptional as well. No free lunch though!

After reading some of the posts that were referenced, I'm now convinced that it's a total accuracy killer.

I don't know how you define "SAFE" but I've always considered loose primer pockets from brass with few firings to be a sign of pressue. ...although, not all brass is equal. Perhaps you're using some that's too soft at the case head?

I've also heard of people improperly annealing too much of the case.

Bigngreen was perhaps too subtle. You may well be safe in your practices. But, others could abuse the procedure to create a dangerous situation.

I don't know who said it first. But, I've heard "there are old reloaders and bold reloaders, but no old, bold reloaders."

-- richard

After reading some of the posts that were referenced, I'm now convinced that it's a total accuracy killer.

I don't know how you define "SAFE" but I've always considered loose primer pockets from brass with few firings to be a sign of pressue. ...although, not all brass is equal. Perhaps you're using some that's too soft at the case head?

I've also heard of people improperly annealing too much of the case.

Bigngreen was perhaps too subtle. You may well be safe in your practices. But, others could abuse the procedure to create a dangerous situation.

I don't know who said it first. But, I've heard "there are old reloaders and bold reloaders, but no old, bold reloaders."

-- richard

LOL! I've known some of those "bold reloaders" and watched one trying to beat his bolt open with a rock or anything he could find after shooting a nice bull that needed a follow up shot. I think his theory was if a little powder is good a little more must be better. As I mentioned, mine is fairly hot but a couple of grains below max. The pressure comes from being at the rifling. Never ever had any sticky bolt issues. May experiment with my 210 VLD load soon and take it to .010" off or so and see if accuracy and velocity remain with less pressure. Also, these cases had 3 firings on them before the primer pockets got loose.

Going to buy a new batch of Nosler Custom brass this next week. That's what I've been using and it's the most "true" brass that I've used yet. I've got 4-5 firings on it so it's had some good use. Would be nice to identify the shells with excess run out issues but this way there will be no more flyers caused by runout and wondering when they will happen going into deer season. I don't leave anything to Murphy! Pretty sure I'm done with the primer pocket resizer to.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.