Primer Pocket Cleaning Help

RoughCut

Ok quick question for a new guy. Did a quick search and can't really find what I am looking for.
Pretty new to reloading but am kind of a perfectionist. I bought an RCBS pocket brush to clean the pockets and it just doesn't seem like it does very good of a job. Still see residual in the crook of the pocket. It also looks like it scratches of the some brass. Seems very harsh and primitive to do it this way. Is it fine the way it is or is there a better way. Accuracy in my hunting loads is my primary goal. Also is the residual on the inside of the case negligable? I thought tumblers were mostly for aesthetics, is this wrong?

Also what are your thoughts on Lymans primer pocket reamer? Is this just another reloading gimmick? The idea makes sense to me.

thanks so much and sorry for the barrage of questions.

I just use a vibratory tumbler with "lizard litter" (cheap source of clean crushed walnut hulls) and leave it at that. I didn't find any difference in loads with cleaning pockets more than that.

I use the RCBS brushes on all of my rifle cases. I find if I tilt the case ever so slightly I can get most of the residue out. I also have the Lyman reamer and cleaner. The Lyman pocket cleaner looks like a flat tip screwdriver but has a slight radius at both corners. I use the reamer on military brass to cut the crimp but I don't think it does well cleaning as it also has a slight radius and nothing to clean the bottom of the pocket (not sure it even goes in far enough). There may be a better way but I'm ok with my methods for now. I can assure you that I'm not a good enough shooter to be able to tell if a little residue makes a difference.

The only way I have discovered to get the pockets 100% clean is with stainless tumbling media. It will also clean the inside of the cases like new. They way I see it stainless media saves me a couple steps in the process and does a far better job.

I use a piece of heavy copper wire to clean primer pockets. The copper is softer that brass so it will not scratch. One end of the wire is bent into a loop for a handle and the other is slightly crushed in a smooth jaw vice. cheap and effective.

I use an RCBS hand primer pocket cleaner. It basically insures that my primers seat all the way, & I don't have residue sticking them out too far. I wish I had a pocket reamer to make them all a uniform minimum depth.
As far as inside the case.... Well I'm a picky lil bugger, so I make sure the primer hole tab is gone, & I use a nylon brush on my screw gun so I keep my cases free of tumbeling media, & powder residue. I strive for consistancy with the primitave tools I do have, & every little bit helps imo. Even if my shooting skills aren't up to proving it every single time, the chronny shows minimal extreme spread, so it appears to pay off for me.

The only way I have discovered to get the pockets 100% clean is with stainless tumbling media. It will also clean the inside of the cases like new. They way I see it stainless media saves me a couple steps in the process and does a far better job.

I think the stainless is easier, but ultrasonic leaves the whole case spotless inside and
out also.

This post reminds me of Tremors 3, when Burt was telling the government agents how he was going to tranquilize the graboids inexpensively.

After I anneal my brass, I dry the primer pocket with a piece of t-shirt and dowel rod; takes about 2 seconds. That is as clean as it gets.

Try some spit on a piece of cloth and dowel rod. :rolleyes:

Ok quick question for a new guy. Did a quick search and can't really find what I am looking for.
Pretty new to reloading but am kind of a perfectionist. I bought an RCBS pocket brush to clean the pockets and it just doesn't seem like it does very good of a job. Still see residual in the crook of the pocket. It also looks like it scratches of the some brass. Seems very harsh and primitive to do it this way. Is it fine the way it is or is there a better way. Accuracy in my hunting loads is my primary goal. Also is the residual on the inside of the case negligable? I thought tumblers were mostly for aesthetics, is this wrong?

Also what are your thoughts on Lymans primer pocket reamer? Is this just another reloading gimmick? The idea makes sense to me.

thanks so much and sorry for the barrage of questions.
I hear what you are saying Rough Cut, I've used media cleaners for years, they work well for me but took a lot more time and working with the media for me at least was a pain in the butt, particularly media stuck in the flash holes. Since I started using the rotary cleaner with liquid cleaner and stainless pins my brass comes out perfect and looking like new. I should add that the steel pins tend to want to get all over the place if you're not careful, so I guess it still can be a pain.

This post reminds me of Tremors 3, when Burt was telling the government agents how he was going to tranquilize the graboids inexpensively.

After I anneal my brass, I dry the primer pocket with a piece of t-shirt and dowel rod; takes about 2 seconds. That is as clean as it gets.

Try some spit on a piece of cloth and dowel rod. :rolleyes:
That was a hilarious scene for any gun guys...