Primer ? for Triple 7 powder

cornchuck

I have been using Federal Fusion 209 primers for my muzzleloader with 777 powder. That seems to be the combo for my Remington 700ml. Being a picky precise person that I am, it could be better. These primers are getting hard to find. so I thought about switching to something else. Should I go with a regular 209 shotshell primer or Federals 209A or CCI 209M? I have tried the primers made for 777 powder and they didn't meet my expectations.

I was just wondering what primers you guys are using in your muzzleloaders?

Jason

I use just the plain old Winchester 209 primers. Good ignition and accuracy

I just shot my 700 ML today for the first time. It was a used gun and has a 209 conversion in it. I used powerbelt bullets and 777 granulated powder. The primers were pretty much black and falling out of the cup when I pulled the bolt back and sometimes the pieces of the primers were coming apart. I was loading 90gr of 777. I would say it's over pressure but shouldn't be at 90....???? I was using the remington kleen 209's. The accuracy was 3" group'ish but that was with factory open sites so probably just lack of precise aiming.

Regual 209 primers tend to leave a very heavy crud ring just in front of the bullet. It is said they are too powerful and push the bullet up before solid ignition. Gets very hard to load after 2-3 shots in many guns.

Most have found the 777 primer or one especially made for muzzleloaders. They are less powerful than the normal 209.

BH 209 powder uses the regular 209 primers.

I am noticing all the above with the Winchester 777 primers, 100gr of 777 in pellet form and barnes 250gr sabots....crud build up, primer falling out/sometimes apart, and most times too hard to load after 3 shots. Still shots well but it has me worried.

My rifle was very particular on what it liked and the best load that I came up with was using the 777 pellet x2 and a CCI primer with the Barnes 250 grain. I had minumal fouling on the primer.

I had bad crud ring problems with Win, Rem, and CCI primers. I gave up and, having an Omega, got a breech plug made to use 25ACP cases with small rifle primers instead. It works beautifully.

If you have an Omega or Encore it is easy to make your own using the right size drill bit and calipers to get the depth right. I have made a couple since.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts