Primer dreams

idaho 6.5 x 47

Let's pretend primers suddenly became available
How many would you like to keep on hand ?

and let's pretend this is the worst part of the shortage , and it gets better

I would like to have 5000 on hand of small rifle
Same with large rifle

and , 10,000 small pistol

Primers WERE the easy part before. Buying the bullets to shoot those 20k primers was/is the expensive part.
I like to keep 5k+ of my more used primers on hand. When I'd place a order for powder I would restock on primers.

I'd have 40,000 primers

I'd also like to have a shelf full of 8lb jugs of 2000mr... (Full from floor to ceiling of course) I have another shelf full of aa2520... (Same thing). And a shelf full of whatever powder goes in 9mm 45 and such (I'm mostly a rifle guy). Also I need 10 barrel blanks in 6.5mm and 10 in 7 mm an a crate with 25 556 barrels. I'd like to have a lathe to chamber the barrels and a Mark7 to put the rounds together. Also- id like have all the components on hand (bullets/brass/powder) to burn out all the aforementioned barrels... just getting started.

When i could get them locally anytime i wanted, l would keep 200 to 400. I don't shoot much beyond load development. However, after this, i might go 1k in rifles and 5k in pistols.

Once this is over I will have

15-20k small rifle
10k large rifle
2k 210M
15k small pistol.

These won't be touched, I will buy what I need to load when I start loading, These will all be for the next crisis. I'm also starting to buy "double" what I want/need for small stuff too. I wanted 1k 77SMK's for this varmint season and just some plinking, so I ordered 2k, next time I'll do the same thing.

Let's pretend primers suddenly became available
How many would you like to keep on hand ?

and let's pretend this is the worst part of the shortage , and it gets better

I would like to have 5000 on hand of small rifle
Same with large rifle

and , 10,000 small pistol
I don't shoot that much but I do hunt. Between seasonal sighting in and actual hunting, the most I'll shoot is about 10 rounds.
For me, 1000 of each type of primer for what I load is plenty.

10 years from now we will be saying "remember when primers were only $35 per thousand? And we used to be able to order them online? Man, Those were the good ol' days..." Shortages will get worse with time and prices will be higher next time. I never turn down a good buy on them. Why? They don't spoil.

I will never have below 5000 ever again once this is over...
I got caught short handed in 1996-1998 when Clinton was pres. I thought never again.
I don't know if it was cause of him or not but I was mad at myself. I took a powder and primer inventory a week ago. I have enough for 2 lifetimes . I've given and sold a lot of powder and primers to friends . Even m/l caps twice. I hope they all learn from this. I'm done with the charity part. It's about me now. Lol !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts