Primer dreams

Let's pretend primers suddenly became available
How many would you like to keep on hand ?

and let's pretend this is the worst part of the shortage , and it gets better

I would like to have 5000 on hand of small rifle
Same with large rifle

and , 10,000 small pistol
we I started stocking and backing up all reloading supply's for every gun I have from the time oscumer got in and even be for that when bill boy was in.

Attachments

• 88112198_2526794704116124_7324702892353388544_n.jpg
    88112198_2526794704116124_7324702892353388544_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 84
Every time I buy/build a gun, I would buy bullets, brass and dies for it. Then powder and primers. Seems I'm stocked for a while but I would prefer double the amount I currently have of primers and 50% more powder.
I'd also like to have a shelf full of 8lb jugs of 2000mr...
What do you use your 2000MR for?
enough for 2 lifetimes . I've given and sold a lot of powder and primers to friends . Even m/l caps twice. I hope they all learn from this. I'm done with the charity part. It's about me now. Lol !
So you had three lifetimes worth... :p

After the last panic buy settled down, I bought 15k large rifle magnums, 5k large rifle, 5k of small pistol ,and 5k of small rifle.....I wish I would have doubled that. There's nothing wrong with hoarding when the supply allows for it.
There is nothing fun about spending a thousand bucks on stuff your not going to touch for several years but it's nice right now to not be in panic mode. Honestly wish I would have doubled that, If I ever get another chance to, I will.

I try to keep one primer for each bullet I have for rifles (large, small & magnum) and pistols (large, small and magnum). I have always stockpiled bullets for each firearm I own and buy more when I see them at a reasonable price.
Since I do not shoot competition I believe have enough projectiles and brass to exceed my lifetime or at least my ability to hold and fire a gun.
Having said that I am short about 1500 small pistol primers (could not resist the availability of 1,500 38cal JRNs from Everglades) and about 1000 small rifle primers (found 700 55gr 22 JHPs that I had bought 15+years ago. LOL

I would try to maintain a level 3K in Large rifle or more if easily available. 1K in Mag. But will not walk away from any opportunities in the future. Last year before the covid19 shut down I stopped at the Academy store in the West Melbourne FL area and bought 1000 Large rifle primers and seeing all the boxes there on the shelf thought what the heck I'm standing here, grab a few thousand for a hundred dollars. But figured I did not really need them and there are plenty on the shelf. I was thinking I don't really need the one brick but I'm glad I bought the 1000. Today I only have 1200 total including my magnum primers I am sorry I didn't go with my instinct and buy 3K of 4K for $125. They I think academy also had 1 lb and 8 lb cans of IMR4350 and H4832sc powder. I will run out of powder before I run out of primers. I'm getting weird thoughts about not going to range and WASTING what I have about saving what I have and not shooting

I am a high power competitor and match director. Once the Obamanation was over I made sure I had at least 2 lifetimes of all supplies. At my age it wasn't that much. I will buy more if it becomes available at reasonable prices which won't be the prices of a year ago.

Every time I buy/build a gun, I would buy bullets, brass and dies for it. Then powder and primers. Seems I'm stocked for a while but I would prefer double the amount I currently have of primers and 50% more powder.

What do you use your 2000MR for?

So you had three lifetimes worth... :p
Maybe 2.5 . 🤔

I am a high power competitor and match director. Once the Obamanation was over I made sure I had at least 2 lifetimes of all supplies. At my age it wasn't that much. I will buy more if it becomes available at reasonable prices which won't be the prices of a year ago.
Yes. Unfortunately what is happening on Gunbroker and such sites is going to change "normal" pricing...

Don't shoot pistol too much any more, but 5000 rifle primers (each) is low fence boundary for me. I remember too many shortages. I also want at least 2000 BR primers of each and 15,000 209 shotgun.
You got that right. To many. 5000 of Large rifle primers, small rifle, larger pistol, Mag Primes, in what you use the most of. Here we are again with shortages. Bench rest primes too.

I would try to maintain a level 3K in Large rifle or more if easily available. 1K in Mag. But will not walk away from any opportunities in the future. Last year before the covid19 shut down I stopped at the Academy store in the West Melbourne FL area and bought 1000 Large rifle primers and seeing all the boxes there on the shelf thought what the heck I'm standing here, grab a few thousand for a hundred dollars. But figured I did not really need them and there are plenty on the shelf. I was thinking I don't really need the one brick but I'm glad I bought the 1000. Today I only have 1200 total including my magnum primers I am sorry I didn't go with my instinct and buy 3K of 4K for $125. They I think academy also had 1 lb and 8 lb cans of IMR4350 and H4832sc powder. I will run out of powder before I run out of primers. I'm getting weird thoughts about not going to range and WASTING what I have about saving what I have and not shooting
I live in the same area as you, I was buying primers from bass pro and academy just because I hated paying hazmat and shipping. Boy I sure wish I would have cleaned the shelf off a couple times last year!

Is ATF listening in? I'd wouldn't stock pile(hoard) if I knew that could buy primers anytime i wanted to. If not, I would like to have at least 10,000 on hand for national emergencies.

1000 magnum 1000 large rifle. That's good for about 8 years as long as I don't run out of arrows or become too crippled to stay in the woods backpacking and scouting. I don't really feel a need to shoot unless I'm stuck with a second choice rifle tag.

Folks...with these wishes...looks like the shortage will be alive and well for years to come! But one good thing may come out of it eventually.,.my grandkids are going to get truckload pricing at 2 cents on the dollar as the hoarders die off leaving a glut in the market!
Funny you say that. I've asked buddies about what's going to happen to all my powder and primers when I die ? Best answer was torch it at your funeral. Lol!
I guess I'm going to have to list it in my will.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.