Primer difference

May a trade on here a year or so. Finally got around to shooting the gun with his reloads and it seems to be a good recipe. Only difference for me is I don't have but around 150 of his brand primer(cci 250). What I do have though is around 6-7k win mag primers and about 1k federal 215M. Would I notice any noticeable difference in yalls opinion??

There must be a standard threshold for ignition, maybe Winchester will show the greatest variations, both will work well.

May a trade on here a year or so. Finally got around to shooting the gun with his reloads and it seems to be a good recipe. Only difference for me is I don't have but around 150 of his brand primer(cci 250). What I do have though is around 6-7k win mag primers and about 1k federal 215M. Would I notice any noticeable difference in yalls opinion??
Primers are no different than gun powders. They all have a different burn rate. You can Google primer burn rate chart. What caliber are you shooting? I use Fed 210M's for my 7 mag with 180gr eldm. The 210's tighten up the group over the Fed 215's.

Last edited:
Try backing down a couple grains and use what you have. Check velocity. spread, and POI.
Yea I'd love to be able to do that, but I left my labradar in Ohio and I'm currently in Louisiana. I'm just going to wait until I get all my stuff together and then give it a go.

How do you compute the cylinder pressure?
I do not have any way to do that. Any time I am trying a new configuration, I pay particular attention to how the bolt feels when I go to lift it after firing and then when I remove the brass I check the primer and case for any signs of excessive pressure. The only time I have had a substantial problem with pressure with any loads in these two guns was when I was attempting to bring solid copper bullets up to the speeds I was getting with HPBT jacketed lead bullets. Which BTW, did not work well. I still like the solid copper bullets but they do result in more pressure. I still have not fully figured out why, but I know I am way off topic now.

The only time I've ever seen a significant change caused by primers was when I tried CCI BR primers instead of magnum primers in my FTR rifle. The magnums worked much better. It went from a sub moa rifle to a 36"-48" rifle at 1000 yards. It was severely worse.

In my 280AI I had to add 1.5 gr. of powder using CCI 250's to get about the same velocity and accuracy as I got from the CCI 200's.

20190610_084140_resized.jpg

The only time I've ever seen a significant change caused by primers was when I tried CCI BR primers instead of magnum primers in my FTR rifle. The magnums worked much better. It went from a sub moa rifle to a 36"-48" rifle at 1000 yards. It was severely worse.
I'm only asking about pressure changes. From Hogdon's load data sight. And typically they use a given primer with a given powder, like Ramshot powder uses Winchester primers, Winchester powder uses Federal primers in rifle loads. How fast powder is ignited will change how it performs. Not just velocity, but accuracy too. I lack the experience most of you have, so I read and ask questions. I recently emailed a bullet manufacturer on their load data as they didn't identify the primer used in their loads. Crickets....

BULLET WEIGHT
124 GR. HDY XTP
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
CCI 500, SMALL PISTOL

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
RamshotSilhouetteOUT OF STOCK0.355"1.060"4.799425,600 PSI5.31,11633,300 PSI
BULLET WEIGHT
124 GR. HDY XTP
CASE
WINCHESTER
PRIMER
WINCHESTER SP, SMALL PISTOL

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
RamshotSilhouetteOUT OF STOCK0.355"1.060"4.694529,700 PSI5.41,07234,900 PSI
Identical on everything EXCEPT the primer, and a starting pressure change over 4,000 psi. Note the lower pressure returned higher velocity.

I would consider a possibility that different primers will either be better for you, or worse.
It probably won't be the same.

I suspect the abstract in this comes down to striking -that is optimum, or not, for any particular primer.
If so then striking could be optimized for a chosen primer.
Just a theory
I've found with testing using short barreled contenders that the 215 and wlrm were similar with fire delivered and soot, but the 250 was very sooty and slightly milder compared to the 215 and wlrm. As far as the o.p., I'd probably use the wlrm and not look back, but the load may need to be tweaked a bit... likely not. As long as a primer is properly sensitized any proper strike should be fine.