Primer difference

spladi

May a trade on here a year or so. Finally got around to shooting the gun with his reloads and it seems to be a good recipe. Only difference for me is I don’t have but around 150 of his brand primer(cci 250). What I do have though is around 6-7k win mag primers and about 1k federal 215M. Would I notice any noticeable difference in yalls opinion??

There must be a standard threshold for ignition, maybe Winchester will show the greatest variations, both will work well.

sendero72

May a trade on here a year or so. Finally got around to shooting the gun with his reloads and it seems to be a good recipe. Only difference for me is I don’t have but around 150 of his brand primer(cci 250). What I do have though is around 6-7k win mag primers and about 1k federal 215M. Would I notice any noticeable difference in yalls opinion??
Primers are no different than gun powders. They all have a different burn rate. You can Google primer burn rate chart. What caliber are you shooting? I use Fed 210M's for my 7 mag with 180gr eldm. The 210's tighten up the group over the Fed 215's.

Last edited:

arawls88

LRH Team Member
Primers are no different than gun powders. They all have a different burn rate. You can Google primer burn rate chart.
Yea I googled it, maybe not precisely what you said but it still showed different results on each article I read. I’m not sure anyone knows honestly lol.

arawls88

LRH Team Member
Try backing down a couple grains and use what you have. Check velocity. spread, and POI.
Yea I’d love to be able to do that, but I left my labradar in Ohio and I’m currently in Louisiana. I’m just going to wait until I get all my stuff together and then give it a go.

Walt Pence

How do you compute the cylinder pressure?
I do not have any way to do that. Any time I am trying a new configuration, I pay particular attention to how the bolt feels when I go to lift it after firing and then when I remove the brass I check the primer and case for any signs of excessive pressure. The only time I have had a substantial problem with pressure with any loads in these two guns was when I was attempting to bring solid copper bullets up to the speeds I was getting with HPBT jacketed lead bullets. Which BTW, did not work well. I still like the solid copper bullets but they do result in more pressure. I still have not fully figured out why, but I know I am way off topic now.

milboltnut