primer choice

rufous

I am wondering what is the general consensus (or is there one) as to primer choice for the 300 Win Mag? Powders to be tried will likely be H4350 or H4831 or RL19/22/25. I have generally used CCI 250 magnum primers but have heard recently that perhaps a standard primer (CCI 200 or Fed 210) would be plenty hot and may give lower extreme spreads in velocity. Thanks, Rufous.

Rufous

You can go with a standard primer with the 300 Win mag.

For what it's worth, I gave up on CCI primers after I got several "hang fires" by using 2 different lots.

I like Federal 210 Standard large rifle Match or the 215 Magnum match.

I had a VERY good gunsmith tell me one time that he found, you didn't need a mag primer till you got to the case size that would hold close to or more then 100 grains.
Many shooters use the standard large rifle primer for 1000 yard target shooting at Williamsport. Some also use the mag primers and probably 99% of them use the Federal primer.
You will find that the velocity will be more constant with your size case with the standard large rifle primer and the powders you use in it.

Later
Darryl Cassel

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.