Primer burn on bolt face

elf

Some of my bolts have this on the bolt face; others do not. Some of the rings look fairly deep.

I don't think they cause any acccuracy problems. But if they do, is there any way to eliminate them other than to mill off the bolt face, then re-set the headspace?

Im not a gunsmith, but I have seen and experienced what your referring to, which is usually caused by blown primers. I have seen repairs made where an area around the firing pin was removed and then sleeved flush with the bolt face. But they were considerably smaller than the bolt face size, but im not sure if it would matter.
Some friends have claimed they sent their bolts back to Saco and they were welded, and maybe they were because there was no evidence of any repair.

If this is happening, chances are that ether your load is to hot or the primer pockets are getting loose. Ether problem can be solved.

These little gouges made by high pressure gas don't seem to hurt accuracy but they are a sign that something is wrong. Plus they look bad.

J E CUSTOM

Got bad batch of Winchester LR primers and etched the crap out of my bolt on my 40X. Did my load development with the silver WLR primers and moved to a new lot of the brass colored ones, which were bad. Had to pull down about 400 rounds. What a PITA.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.