Primer and powder storage

ptb

curious where most store their primers and powder. I have a part time place in another state where I keep all my hunting/reloading stuff. With shortages and supplies so hard to get and not being at the house full time, I worry about theft. For now, I just put my primers and my 8 lb jugs of powder in my gun safe for safe keeping. Any thoughts?

yea, I was just looking at the way I had it stored, in unlocked cabinets. It would take 2 seconds for someone to throw it ALL in a box and light out. $1000's gone. Kinda like we all do to gun stores when we see RE 26 or H1000 on shelf. We toss in the cart as fast as possible!! 😀

Mines same way in garage all in open. Most people only steal what they think is valuable. Example two years ago truck had window smashed in they stole coins from center console iPad and laptop. Right next to them 30 nosler with atacr scope a g7. Swarovski el ranges and a Swarovski atx95 they didn't take that lol

Yea stupidity is rampant!! I just shutter at that thought of trying to replace thousands of primers. Guess I am just paranoid. Thx for the input.

I know it. The primers seem to be the tough one for me. Especially small rifle.

Putting a lot of powder in a safe, especially with primers, basically makes the safe a giant bomb in the event of a fire. They should be physically seperated, and both containers need to be vented. Keep lots of dessicant with them.
I think if possible, you would be better off reinforcing a solid pantry or closet door, adding a max strength dead bolt or two, and keepin them inside where the climate will be better regulated.

Try this or build a 3/4" thick box lined with cement board, and hinged on one side such that it will blow out before the rest of the box is destroyed.

Last edited:
I store mine in a fire resistant purpose built secure room in a day light basement. Cool, constant temp dry and low fire risk were my goals.
I agree that theft of reloading supplies and equipment is a fairly low risk deal. Had someone break into my garage a couple years ago. He went through the upper apartment which includes my reloading bench and equipment with high end reloading gear like fx120i & autothrow and thousands of bullets. The only thing he took were my gun cleaning tool box and a computer monitor. I'm guessing the thief and recipients of the stolen material didn't even know what the bore guides were for in the cleaning kit. Happy to say the thief was arrested the next day because one of my security game cameras got his license plate.

i would be careful storing your powder with your guns. if the powder starts to degrade the fumes will cause a major rust problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.