Pricing guns and barreled actions

Trappernewt

So as some of you know we had a house fire and lost everything we own. My rifles were in safes and most suffered irreparable damage but some were salvageable. The salvageable rifles and shotguns were evaluated by a gunsmith and deemed operational with most all damage being cosmetic (stock finish bluing etc) So my question is how would I go about selling these? For instance I have a 338 Norma Mag Snowy Mountain Custom that is perfectly fine just the stock is a tad discolored. How would I value that?

I know I could keep and use but I lost a lot of firearms and I am trying to sell seldom used guns to be able to afford to replace firearms my wife, kids and I used and to pay to have some of my collector rifles completely restored. Any suggestions are welcome.

I hate to be blunt....but right now gun prices are fairly low and not selling compared to a year or so back....about all you can do is figure out what you need ask the price and see if you have any takers....you can always go down but never up....
One option is ask the gun shop what they will give you then add 1/3 to the price and try to sell....1/3 is usually their mark up.....
It terrible the loss you have experienced !

Put up a pic of it. Is wood or synthetic?

That is character. If it just made it ugly, but still completely functional sell BA only.

Figure out the stock price. Sell the stock for half price and BA for normal.

I am not familiar with Snowy Mtn rifles so not sure prices.

First of all I'm sorry for your loss and all the problems that you and your family have incurred. As far as the firearms you wish to sell. They are yours and you can ask any price you want and if people don't like it then they should move on. If potential buyers think you're too high on price they should pm you and discuss. Then if you come to agreement on price, great. If not, move on with no hard feelings. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Have you thought about doing the repairs or replacing the parts and selling at a higher price? If you don't want to mess with that, put them up for sale at a price you feel is fair and if they don't sell you can adjust the price to a lower number, if they sell fast then maybe your fair price might be really fair for the buyer and not fair enough for you

Hopefully you are getting along as best as can be through all of this so far. Like some have said before, you can always come down. As long as full disclosure is made to condition and why then set what you think is fair and go from there. You can always haggle lol. Good luck with this and I hope you can come out ok on this deal and your family is all good.

So as some of you know we had a house fire and lost everything we own. My rifles were in safes and most suffered irreparable damage but some were salvageable. The salvageable rifles and shotguns were evaluated by a gunsmith and deemed operational with most all damage being cosmetic (stock finish bluing etc) So my question is how would I go about selling these? For instance I have a 338 Norma Mag Snowy Mountain Custom that is perfectly fine just the stock is a tad discolored. How would I value that?

I know I could keep and use but I lost a lot of firearms and I am trying to sell seldom used guns to be able to afford to replace firearms my wife, kids and I used and to pay to have some of my collector rifles completely restored. Any suggestions are welcome.
Ryan I wish I could give you an answer that you would like. First you are a very honest person from talking with you and getting to know you. If you state that the firearm was in a "Fire" people will back away and you are being honest with the sale.
You need to give to a GS/Auction seller to sell and have them evaluate the firearm as "Good" "OK" and effected by the fire.
Best thing is if you have any friends to sell to OF LRH MEMBERS.
Put a list of your firearms that you need to sell with descriptions and pictures.
I am sure that most of us on LRH will buy them or help you getting a reasonable price and get them sold.
God bless you and your family.
I only wish Jill and I could do more for you & your family.

I like random and unique things, PM me with some of what you have and I'll buy a rifle from you.

IDK about what they'd sell for on the street, but throw out a decent number and lets get a deal done.
I sure will. I have a pile of stuff to go through. I'll send a few pictures of what I have available and we can go from there.
Ryan I wish I could give you an answer that you would like. First you are a very honest person from talking with you and getting to know you. If you state that the firearm was in a "Fire" people will back away and you are being honest with the sale.
You need to give to a GS/Auction seller to sell and have them evaluate the firearm as "Good" "OK" and effected by the fire.
Best thing is if you have any friends to sell to OF LRH MEMBERS.
Put a list of your firearms that you need to sell with descriptions and pictures.
I am sure that most of us on LRH will buy them or help you getting a reasonable price and get them sold.
God bless you and your family.
I only wish Jill and I could do more for you & your family.
You guys have been great.I couldn't ask for anyone to have done anymore than what you and others here have done. I am only selling firearms that have been gone through by the gunsmith and deemed safe to use. The smith that evaluated them didn't want the hassle of listing and selling them.
Did the insurance company not pay to repair the damage?
No they did not. I just paid nearly $2000 to just have them cleaned and checked over. You also have to have an additional coverage on your policy to cover firearms specifically. Mine was basic (my stupidity). They ended up covering about $7000 worth. As you know that's one custom and a quality scope. I lost nearly $30k in NF scopes alone. I encourage anyone reading to check your policy and make sure you have EVERYTHING covered.

I sure will. I have a pile of stuff to go through. I'll send a few pictures of what I have available and we can go from there.

You guys have been great.I couldn't ask for anyone to have done anymore than what you and others here have done. I am only selling firearms that have been gone through by the gunsmith and deemed safe to use. The smith that evaluated them didn't want the hassle of listing and selling them.

No they did not. I just paid nearly $2000 to just have them cleaned and checked over. You also have to have an additional coverage on your policy to cover firearms specifically. Mine was basic (my stupidity). They ended up covering about $7000 worth. As you know that's one custom and a quality scope. I lost nearly $30k in NF scopes alone. I encourage anyone reading to check your policy and make sure you have EVERYTHING covered.
Really make us think as to what our coverage is. Got Jills diamonds insured, but don't think anything for example on $100K++ in firearms. and also components that they would cover bullets & Powder/primers. The amount we have would need to be placed outside in a detached building.
A good Idea- Types of insurance and know Property Insurance well so know all the standards.
MY USAA you would need a lot of "Riders" to cover all our firearms and we could not afford it.
It is a tough world in INSURANCE on both sides -- the insured and insurer.
Best thing is to never have a CLAIM!
DArn we had a bunch of money in our IRAs and 401Ks when Trump was in. Seemed like we would hsve $30+-4$0K easy every couple of months help support Then Brabnon and his crones stuck their fingers into the pot soon we lost 50% of our life saving,
Believe me when there wa a president having a great economy the another liberal president tear it down, because he wants you money
Sorry off track We are jus sad that we lost so much in such s short time. I worked since I was 11 on the Social Security books, and now to have hundreds of thousands $$$$$ taken away from our 401ks anfd IRSs when we need the most in our retirement age. Now what money we have left is TAXXXXED to hell when we remove it. If I build a rifle a lot goes to taxes when i buy materials and then I have to try to pass those costs on,

Last edited: