Price jump of .22 LR ?

ShtrRdy

I recently experienced some sticker shock when pricing a "brick" of .22 LR ammo. The last time I bought some, (about 2 years ago), it was going for ~$23. Now it's going for $45. What caused the jump in pricing on this ammo?

Where have you been the last 3 years. Obama's war on law abiding gun owners sent out a buying panic spree on ammo and guns, as usual .22 ammo took the hardest hit and taking the longest to recover.

People complain about price gouging and higher prices but higher prices can ensure you can get the ammo if you need it. I think they should raise the price even higher so stocks can get back up to pre Obama levels, then prices will start to drop, people will be calmer as stocks will be full when you go into your favorite vendor.

I recently experienced some sticker shock when pricing a "brick" of .22 LR ammo. The last time I bought some, (about 2 years ago), it was going for ~$23. Now it's going for $45. What caused the jump in pricing on this ammo?

Rdy, simply the demand and the price the manufacturers set which most gladly pay. My grandkids shoot up a pile of it, so my son and I are always stocking up when it's on sale. We'll see how the supply and prices go after next November's election providing the right candidate is elected. Do you vote?

Where have you been the last 3 years. Obama's war on law abiding gun owners sent out a buying panic spree on ammo and guns, as usual .22 ammo took the hardest hit and taking the longest to recover.

People complain about price gouging and higher prices but higher prices can ensure you can get the ammo if you need it. I think they should raise the price even higher so stocks can get back up to pre Obama levels, then prices will start to drop, people will be calmer as stocks will be full when you go into your favorite vendor.

Well, I agree that after the 2008 election the prices doubled. Another factor during that time was the cost of raw materials essentially doubling. This took the price of a brick of .22 LR from about $13 to $24. What I'm asking about is going from $24 to $46.

I suspect it is just price gouging. It happens in "free markets". They have it and you want it and you can't go buy it anywhere else. But free markets are much better than any alternatives.

We really need to get our stuff together and get the right people in office or it will never change. I can see $46 going to $96 if we don't change things....

Well, I agree that after the 2008 election the prices doubled. Another factor during that time was the cost of raw materials essentially doubling. This took the price of a brick of .22 LR from about $13 to $24. What I'm asking about is going from $24 to $46.

Still supply and demand. Some stores have been bowing to people complaining by price fixing. If a scalper can buy bricks from Walmart then turn around and get double or triple the money for it, the store hasn't set the right price.

There is 2 ways the madness will end.
1. They set the price so people will not want to pay it unless they absolutely need to.
2. Everyone builds a massive hoard of .22 ammo that they aren't worried about shortages.

Think on this, with higher profit margins, companies will expand existing production and new companies will start making the scarce product.

I get beat up quite a bit when I say they should have jacked the price up immediately. Now we are all conditioned to buy .22 ammo when we see it, ALL of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.