Price Gougers

Here's sumin else to chew on......many of the sellers (NOT all)......have supported Len more then many of us, by becoming paying members. That IS one reason I have a hard time complaining about what happens or is allowed.
I get that, but there is one larger gun forum where contributing members foolishly equate donating as a form of site ownership and seem to get away with it.
Team members and sponsors deserve some perks, but.

I get that, but there is one larger gun forum where contributing members foolishly equate donating as a form of site ownership and seem to get away with it.
Team members and sponsors deserve some perks, but.
I agree Milo, it definitely seems that way.

I have to shake my head at the comparisons made to justify price gouging. Comparing playing the stock market to hoarding ammo or components for a windfall is ridiculous. I purchase stock with the intent of making money when I sell it. The buyer that buys my stock has the same intent. We are both in it for the same reason and both take the same risk. Gouging isn't about capitalism or free enterprise, it's nothing more than greed. Buying up ammo or components at retail price with the intent to take advantage of those that did not or could not prepare adequately is unconscionable. With the events of the last year, lots of folks had other priorities like how to pay bills and buy groceries with a reduced income or loss of a job. I'm fortunate to have a small stash to get me through this. I'll keep looking at the normal outlets for things that I need to trickle in but will do without before doing business with a gouger. Gotta love that ignore button.

If there is anyone in the Pueblo co area. There is a gentleman on the M14 forum selling off his primers, and other items. He's an honorable man. Sold his Dillon550b for a crazy low price but I think he's at a point in life where it's no longer important.

$5 per 100 fTF for his primers.

I'm just passing it along for those in that vicinity. Do your own thing.

Here's sumin else to chew on......many of the sellers (NOT all)......have supported Len more then many of us, by becoming paying members. That IS one reason I have a hard time complaining about what happens or is allowed.
Not after you here, believe me, but in times like this, a prevailing attitude of pay to play can surface.
Not giving an opinion, but I have wished for crap in my life that once in place was tough to reel back, lol

I've thought about this a lot. I always try to live by the golden rule. I've sold some things locally during this last year that were basically duplicates, like Frankenstein ARs that I no longer use. Is it a fair thing to sell one of these for $600? No one wanted them for $450 a year earlier. Does it matter that I was out of work at the time? They were gone in hours. That is also less than it would cost for me to replace them, and roughly what I had in them plus or minus.

I usually only buy; not because I'm hoarding....but because I find something interesting or have a specific use for it. I sometimes buy for less technical friends that have a shopping list and I pass it along for exactly what I paid. I don't agree with gouging, so I don't sell specific items when things are crazy that would feed this. For example I have a laaarge supply of 22lr and small rifle primers; I could make a lot of money, make a lot of people happy, and replace it later. Would it be fair to double my money?

When you sell stuff that you've had 20 or 30 years, are you supposed to always sell for what you paid for it? I think I paid $89 for my once a lifetime CMP M1 garand, and $400 for a SC 1903A3. I have bought Mosin Nagants at $69 and K31s at $89 if I remember correctly. I think the tins of 8mm and 7.62x54 were $30 or 40. I prefer to check current prices (and I don't mean current, inflated panic prices) and set a fair price where both parties are happy.

That said, I have no problem with people asking what I consider to be crazy money like $.10 or $.15 a round on 22LR, or $100 or more a thousand for regular primers. I just laugh and move on. It is an option for someone with more money than time....or someone who just has to have them. We are talking about a sport after all; something that requires disposable income. To me it is almost something like complaining about membership fees at a country club or the cost of boarding a polo horse. I recall some comedian who added up the price per pound for venison from hunting.

You know, in this world we live in, where $1000 scopes just aren't quite good enough, if you know a "regular hunter" as opposed to a shooting nut, who just needs a few primers and stuff to load some hunting rounds, just pass them along. He'll remember it a long time. And maybe, someday, he (insert Marlon Brando voice) will do you a favor.

What if prices a year from now, or the taxation put upon those items make today's prices look reasonable and not gouging?

By the time primers are back in regular supply at whatever prices you think are not gouging. There could be, and likely will be increased taxation and prevention measures in place.

What if prices a year from now, or the taxation put upon those items make today's prices look reasonable and not gouging?

By the time primers are back in regular supply at whatever prices you think are not gouging. There could be, and likely will be increased taxation and prevention measures in place.
We're not talking a year from now, We are talking about today and a persons intent

I try to take a big picture view of the whole gouging issue on this forum. I don't like prices that appear to me to be gouging and would prefer people take those kinds of offers elsewhere just to help maintain the since of community on this forum. Len sets the rules for the forum and I don't have an issue with following them so I can continue to participate in the forum.

I don't actually follow the classified that much on the forum as that isn't my primary reason for joining. The gouging issue has taught me about the ignore function though so I learned something from it.

I do not believe the gougers are representative of the majority of members on the forum. Most folks seem inclined to try and help each other out. I have sold powder at years ago purchase price to a member and have a reasonable trade in the works to get some SR primers. I'd prefer to keep focused on the positive aspects of the forum, its members and our sense of community rather than to allow a small group of people I disagree with to drag me somewhere I don't want to go. Sniping back and forth between posters is definitely something that has limited my participation in other forums.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts