Price Gougers

As bad as the gouging bugs me, I kinda gotta agree that I have mixed feelings. Intent has a big part in it... However, WE as people set the price with our wallets. I can't really blame a guy for selling something to person A who will pay more than person B. I think there may be some people that think "Well, if that's what they are selling for, heck ya I'll sell them."

As soon as people stop paying high prices, the scapers and gougers will go back to their everyday lives and LRH will return to "normal".

this is getting to be a touchy subject on a lot of sites. I don't know an answer to this because sticking people in the back really gets under my skin but being threatened with banning is not any better than what Dems are trying to do to Fox, Newsmax, OANN and others in congress today.

if you have an item that you have a lot of money into like AZHTR has maybe showing a receipt or a break down of the cost might curb some of the hammering you get. people are understanding if it is explained

I'm a little torn on the whole gouge issue.. I recently sold 3 bricks of 450's for $275 a piece. All to the same individual. Who had at least 30,000 primers already "stored" in his gun safe, rarely reloads, and would definitely buy more tomorrow for the same price. Also, he isnt going to sell ANY of them, he wants to have the ability reload even if there are no more primers. Money isn't a big object for this guy. SO, is this gouging? I also sold a brick to my brother in law (who repeatedly ignored my warnings for a whole 9 months to stock up) for $30. He needed them.

Other thoughts: at some point, the supply IS low, or not there, and to people they actually ARE worth the inflated price. Is it still gouging? I mean, I haven't seen any M1 Garands for $300 lately... are the people that sell them in excess of $1000 gouging?

Just some thoughts... it DOES rub me the wrong way when people buy EVERYTHING up, JUST to resell it at a higher price. The primers I sold were from my personal stash. I certainly didn't buy them with the intention to "flip" for a profit.

Another example: a guy loses his job and needs money for bills, repairs, food on the table, etc. Sells his primers for the going, inflated rate for some quick, needed cash. Is he gouging? Is gouging based off of intent, or is it a reflection of the price alone?

Anyway, flame away if you like. I am just not sure I entirely agree with everything priced high as "gouging", although I can't deny there is a LOT of that going on. It seems a lititle hard to define but one of those "know it when you see it" things.

PS: I also do appreciate this forum, and appreciate that it doesn't have the same vibe as another, also very popular gun forum I'm on, on occasion. The "bro" attitude is just too much for me there. Also appreciate that it doesn't have the GunJoker vibe. I'm on a classified website for my state, and the insane prices people are asking for a lot of stuff IS definitely off putting. And I have never listed items HERE at an inflated rate. So, even though I've sold primers at a greatly inflated price tag, I DO appreciate the OP' sentiment.
The folks that are in question at the moment have made it perfectly clear that they are only selling to profit themselves, Someone that's trying to feed their family is not even in question

I hate gouging as much as the next guy, and generally won't support businesses that engage in it after things settle back down, but I do understand it to a degree because it's pretty basic economics where the consumer sets the price. If nobody would pay over $50 for a brick of primers, guess what the price of primers would be? We're our own worst enemy in this ... or at least those of us paying these ridiculous prices are. There's also the issue of small businesses needing to increase prices to keep their doors open. They used to sell $40 bricks all day but with supply being so low they would quickly go out of business if they maintained that price point. I don't like it, but I also want my local shops to be there on the other side of this.

The fall out from Sandy Hook is all it took for me to understand I needed to be my own supply chain and therefore I'm prepared to weather this storm and resupply only when things calm back down.

The folks that are in question at the moment have made it perfectly clear that they are only selling to profit themselves, Someone that's trying to feed their family is not even in question

Ok, that's fair! That does irritate me. But again, I don't know if I "can" say that, since I have sold stuff high too. But again, it wasn't to somebody that "needed" it. Not sure if that makes me a bad person or not! I've sold stuff at cost too.

I'm a little torn on the whole gouge issue.. I recently sold 3 bricks of 450's for $275 a piece. All to the same individual. Who had at least 30,000 primers already "stored" in his gun safe, rarely reloads, and would definitely buy more tomorrow for the same price. Also, he isnt going to sell ANY of them, he wants to have the ability reload even if there are no more primers. Money isn't a big object for this guy. SO, is this gouging? I also sold a brick to my brother in law (who repeatedly ignored my warnings for a whole 9 months to stock up) for $30. He needed them.

Other thoughts: at some point, the supply IS low, or not there, and to people they actually ARE worth the inflated price. Is it still gouging? I mean, I haven't seen any M1 Garands for $300 lately... are the people that sell them in excess of $1000 gouging?

Just some thoughts... it DOES rub me the wrong way when people buy EVERYTHING up, JUST to resell it at a higher price. The primers I sold were from my personal stash. I certainly didn't buy them with the intention to "flip" for a profit.

Another example: a guy loses his job and needs money for bills, repairs, food on the table, etc. Sells his primers for the going, inflated rate for some quick, needed cash. Is he gouging? Is gouging based off of intent, or is it a reflection of the price alone?

Anyway, flame away if you like. I am just not sure I entirely agree with everything priced high as "gouging", although I can't deny there is a LOT of that going on. It seems a lititle hard to define but one of those "know it when you see it" things.

PS: I also do appreciate this forum, and appreciate that it doesn't have the same vibe as another, also very popular gun forum I'm on, on occasion. The "bro" attitude is just too much for me there. Also appreciate that it doesn't have the GunJoker vibe. I'm on a classified website for my state, and the insane prices people are asking for a lot of stuff IS definitely off putting. And I have never listed items HERE at an inflated rate. So, even though I've sold primers at a greatly inflated price tag, I DO appreciate the OP' sentiment.
I consider gouging is over charging for life necessities that people have to have to survive if people are stupid enough to over pay for something they really can get by without that is on them shouldn't be someone else's concern I'm not the jump off the bridge type just because others do. David

there is also people here for the sole purpose of making money, you can tell who they are because you don't see them contributing anything to other treads but there for sale treads
This. A ton of this.

I have tried to stay out of these discussions for the past few months, but I thoroughly agree that the latest attempts to rake in killer profit are coming from those "members" who never contribute here other than to treat this place like their own swap meet.

I guess really where I'm at is my only gripe is I can't jump online and order what I want, in qtys big enough to justify hazmat and shipping......so I take it our on "gougers"........I mean would really any of us care or have the same view if there was a shortage of antifi masks and people were charging 3x or 5x their old cost? I'd probably be cheering on the sellers and telling them to make money while they can. Shooting is a hobby for me and while I don't want to, I'm more than willing to put it on the shelf for awhile unlike the people spending big money. There is lots of new names both selling and buying and it does change the experience on here, but what do you do besides adapt?

BB: Totally agree with you in so many ways.

I absolutely refuse to take advantage of this situation. Probably why my 401K is not as good as some. I had 3K std pistol primers that I have had in storage for years. I bought them years ago when I had a pistol that used them. I met an acquaintance that mentioned he was out at an archery store recently and that he was desperate. So I told him $100 and he peeled out 3 $100 bills. I said no, it was 3K/$100 and I thought I saw his eyes welling up. He asked me why, I told him that was what I paid for them when I bought them. So I ask you why isn't this happening? We are ALL in this together and I just find the profiting on misery and fear unacceptable. So would you do same for food? Water? Medical supplies? Where does it really end?

Well OK, maybe TP is one.

To some degree don't you believe it's a nature or attitude in people? In a true Emergency, SHTF situation won't these same people be doing the same thing with any needed commodity? I think that the only thing you can do is ignore them and fend for yourself and help those you know.......I liked the one add I saw here that had a list of requirements to purchase, both time and post count I believe........

Great story , commend you for being fair and honest ! Maybe much more than fair but I see this from many members on this site . I find this forum to be extremely different from every other one I have ever been involved with, it truly one of a kind with the best people. Len has really done a fantastic job !

Truth be told - the best thing we all can do in these times is "trade."

It will take the sting off the price and better yet - if you have something that the higher priced person wants and they trade you - you just scored because you moved something you didn't need at the moment or better yet will not need.

As a similar example ....I found (400) CCI 250 primers in my reloading room. Yes, right where I left them lol. I immediately called the guy who just bought a rifle from me with everything but primers we are talking a set of dies too.

I said.....I just found (400) CCI 250 primers to go along with the brass, bullets and powder I sold you > In reality he has enough H1000 and bullets to reload 255 rounds.

All I ask is this...in the future, when things are right, bring me (400) CCI 250 primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.