pressure signs?

I say if your happy with 4064 (velocity,accuracy) then I would use it up.
If you ever decide to stretch it out then you might consider something else.
I starred using 4064 in 06 with 165's and was very happy. Then I switched to imr 4350 and was very very very happy.haha

thanks for the advice. I have a 7mm rem mag I am extremely pleased with launching 160 accubonds at 3000fps at .5 verified MOA out to 400 yards now. I can only test to 500 yards but have not yet and the place I hunt right now only has one opportunity to shoot 400 yards anyways. All other opportunities will be under ~250 yards. So basically, if I think I will sit on that 400 yard field I bring my 7mm rem mag which is a "heavy" gun haha not much fun carrying that thing on stalks. if I decided to stalk/hunt the woods where most shots are actually <100 yards but couple spots that are roughly 250 yards that is when I bring my 3006 and I really do not need blazing speeds right now. I called around and cannot locate any IMR4350 anyways. I figure I will use up this 4064 on the current rounds and be satisfied. When I come across imr4350 I will buy a few pounds of that for the future, it seems imr4350 is a diverse powder and I am sure I will use it eventually anyways, whether in the future with this rifle OR if I buy another rifle that can use this powder.

thanks for the advice. I have a 7mm rem mag I am extremely pleased with launching 160 accubonds at 3000fps at .5 verified MOA out to 400 yards now. I can only test to 500 yards but have not yet and the place I hunt right now only has one opportunity to shoot 400 yards anyways. All other opportunities will be under ~250 yards. So basically, if I think I will sit on that 400 yard field I bring my 7mm rem mag which is a "heavy" gun haha not much fun carrying that thing on stalks. if I decided to stalk/hunt the woods where most shots are actually <100 yards but couple spots that are roughly 250 yards that is when I bring my 3006 and I really do not need blazing speeds right now. I called around and cannot locate any IMR4350 anyways. I figure I will use up this 4064 on the current rounds and be satisfied. When I come across imr4350 I will be a few pounds of that for the future, it seems imr4350 is a diverse powder and I am sure I will use it eventually anyways, whether in the future with this rifle OR if I buy another rifle that can use this powder.
sounds like a good plan..

I know what a ladder test is and by loading up 3 loads of each I am stating I am running 3 separate ladders. I don't like running just one or 2 as I am a relatively new long range shooter and I need multiple sets to confirm my results. I also know what the OCW method is.

Ridiculous!
If you knew I and others were referring to what is commonly known as a ladder test, you would have stated "3 separate ladders" instead of "a small ladder;" then kept the confusion going for 3 more comments.

I just know to ignore you from now on.

Ridiculous!
If you knew I and others were referring to what is commonly known as a ladder test, you would have stated "3 separate ladders" instead of "a small ladder;" then kept the confusion going for 3 more comments.

I just know to ignore you from now on.

Wow...by small ladder I meant checking the top 5 powder charges and not any of the lower powder charges. A full ladder could take 25+shots but I was looking to test only the top 5 or so charge weights meaning only 15 or so shots. Look back in old threads I have created. I absolutely know what a ladder is and have run a few. No I am not really experienced but I do know these tests. Most ladders are recommended to run 3 separate ladders round Robin style. Whether people actually do all 3 is their choice and I bet most don't but I do since I want to make sure it wasn't me skewing the results. I did not mean to make you feel offended but YES I do know what a a ladder is. Again look at my old threads asking about advice on ladders MONTHS ago.

You don't need to be mean, we are all here to try and help one another... Jeesh...

it wont open for me either

Try this. Opened for me...go figure. I ran the pressure to 65,000psi so you could see.

bla.JPG

Try this. Opened for me...go figure. I ran the pressure to 65,000psi so you could see.

View attachment 43306
Wow. I doubt I can get to 56.1grns those are some impressive #'s 3400 ft lbs 2700fps.
I'm hoping for 54.0 grns but If I can go higher I will. My loads are in neck sized win. brass. Pressure and accuracy will dictate my final charge weight.
Thank you for sharing

Not to push off the load in question but have you considered a Sierra 150gr Spt Flat Base?
Back in the day I started with a Rem 742 in 30-06 and 4064 with the Sierra 150 SptFB but I don't recall the exact load. I do remember the case was full and it was max in the old Speer #9 manual. That was (1971) before my first chronograph and I sold the gun before I owned one. I don't know how fast it was but it was a burner.
I bring this load up because I sat at the bench at the old Hamilton AFB range that dumped out onto San Francisco Bay and plopped 20 consecutive shots into 1" from that semi auto. George Forsythe was the Range Master that day and to say he was stunned was an understatement. It was not a fluke as I shot the same load years later in Idaho and it still went into 1".
Since your game is deer at a maximum range of 300yds this may work very well. The flat base 150's shoot very well in 30-06 and the load is no slouch. Boat tails offer very little improvement at 300yds. A quick run through the ballistics calculator assuming 2900fps (very realistic in 22". You may get to 3000fps in 22") shows with a 250yd zero the bullet climbs no more than 3.5" @ 141yds and drops to -4.2" @ 300yds giving you a usable 300yd point blank range with 2125fps and 1504 ftlbs remaining. The 150gr Spitzer Flat Base bullets are much easier to get inside 1 MOA with any decent load and that gives you a 3" group at your maximum point blank range. Wind drift assuming 10mph strait across your path is only 4.3" at 300yds. This is an excellent deer load for the 30-06.
Sierra lists 52.1gr as max with 3000fps out of a 26" barrel. Hodgdon lists 53gr max for the Sierra Palma Match 155gr SptBT with 3005fps @ 59Kpsi from a 24" barrel. The Palma Match does not raise as much pressure as the 150 SptFB.
If you have 4064 it is THE powder for 150gr bullets in 30-06 in my estimation. My early reloading was with the 30-06 and 150's always shot well without a bunch of fiddle faddle. 150's have my highest recommendation for use in combination with 4064.

KB

Not to push off the load in question but have you considered a Sierra 150gr Spt Flat Base?
Back in the day I started with a Rem 742 in 30-06 and 4064 with the Sierra 150 SptFB but I don't recall the exact load. I do remember the case was full and it was max in the old Speer #9 manual. That was (1971) before my first chronograph and I sold the gun before I owned one. I don't know how fast it was but it was a burner.
I bring this load up because I sat at the bench at the old Hamilton AFB range that dumped out onto San Francisco Bay and plopped 20 consecutive shots into 1" from that semi auto. George Forsythe was the Range Master that day and to say he was stunned was an understatement. It was not a fluke as I shot the same load years later in Idaho and it still went into 1".
Since your game is deer at a maximum range of 300yds this may work very well. The flat base 150's shoot very well in 30-06 and the load is no slouch. Boat tails offer very little improvement at 300yds. A quick run through the ballistics calculator assuming 2900fps (very realistic in 22". You may get to 3000fps in 22") shows with a 250yd zero the bullet climbs no more than 3.5" @ 141yds and drops to -4.2" @ 300yds giving you a usable 300yd point blank range with 2125fps and 1504 ftlbs remaining. The 150gr Spitzer Flat Base bullets are much easier to get inside 1 MOA with any decent load and that gives you a 3" group at your maximum point blank range. Wind drift assuming 10mph strait across your path is only 4.3" at 300yds. This is an excellent deer load for the 30-06.
Sierra lists 52.1gr as max with 3000fps out of a 26" barrel. Hodgdon lists 53gr max for the Sierra Palma Match 155gr SptBT with 3005fps @ 59Kpsi from a 24" barrel. The Palma Match does not raise as much pressure as the 150 SptFB.
If you have 4064 it is THE powder for 150gr bullets in 30-06 in my estimation. My early reloading was with the 30-06 and 150's always shot well without a bunch of fiddle faddle. 150's have my highest recommendation for use in combination with 4064.

KB

I haven't tried the 150 sierra but I have tried several other 150s and this rifle does not like them. it has shot the best using 165 grains or heavier. Actually for accuracy the 180s have been best in both the sierra gameking and nosler accubond. I went with gameking because they were much cheaper and I already have 200 or so of them. I want to use up these components and the imr4064 before I move forward. Again, this rifle does not need to hold any speed records, nor does it need to shoot far...300 yards is plenty. The imr4064 with the lowest tested charge weight gave me 2450fps which yes is definitely slow but still yields plenty of velocity for proper expansion at 300 yards. I started this thread because it was the first time I reloaded for a bullet and powder combo that I could not find a book and I was worried I was starting to see pressure signs and wanted the opinion from others. Thank you for your comments, I do appreciate the advice though!

Data data data. I am driven by data.

I looked at the pictures of the OP and I have my brass from the pressure+velocity testing of the Nosler Wildcats. The pressure testing is done with a Pressure Trace II. It is not perfect, it is not "calibrated". It is consistent across my 4 rifles that I was testing on Monday. That makes the data useful because, primer deformation and ejector marks started at the same indicated pressure point on all rifles.

Primers: In my Remington actions, primer flow around the pin, like the OP starts at about indicated 53k PSI. In my Mark V actions, fogedaboudit, they flatten before the flow around the pin. Flattening in all rifles, starts at about indicated 56k PSI.

Ejector marks: In all rifles, at an indicated 56k PSI there is a discernable ejector mark at ~60k PSI it is easy to spot and has a definite shine. at 63k PSI there was the slightest dicernable "ridge" around the ejector mark that I could feel with my finger.

While the indicated pressures could be off my a significant amount. The correlation of the appearance of the brass and primers to my indicated pressures, book references and references online are in line.

I will post pictures if I don't get caught up in making the next round of loads for testing.:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.