pressure signs?

I wonder what we could get out of RL 17 if we went to 65,000,psi? Does quick load allow this? I have a pound to try with 208, amax .

Yes, QL allows that. There is, of course, a velocity increase to be had from doing that. The problem lies in where the accuracy nodes will fall with the bullet chosen and the 22" barrel length. In order for the top accuracy node from a 22" barrel to fall in a place where the higher pressure ceiling can be used, bullet weight has to be reduced to 168 grains.

With the 180's, the next lower node has to be used, which will appear around 2700 fps with RL-17 from a 22" barrel.

Barrel lengths of 24" and 26" have nodes appearing in favorable velocity ranges with heavy bullets. Some of those combinations have the high node showing up around 60k, which can be done without pushing pressures higher.

QL shows the same 180 SGK reaching the high accuracy node @ 2930ish and approximately 63k psi from a 24" barrel, using RL-17.

From a 26" barrel, the same combo comes in @ 2935 and just below 60k psi.

While a 22" barrel is capable of pushing a 180 SGK to just below 2900, using RL-17 and a pressure limit of 65K, it falls short of reaching the next accuracy node, which falls around 2930 and pushes pressures dangerously close to 70k psi.

In contrast, pushing a 168 Berger Classic Hunter from a 22" barrel, using RL-17 and a 65k psi limit, the high node is reached @ 2960ish and 63k psi.

Yes, QL allows that. There is, of course, a velocity increase to be had from doing that. The problem lies in where the accuracy nodes will fall with the bullet chosen and the 22" barrel length. In order for the top accuracy node from a 22" barrel to fall in a place where the higher pressure ceiling can be used, bullet weight has to be reduced to 168 grains.

With the 180's, the next lower node has to be used, which will appear around 2700 fps with RL-17 from a 22" barrel.

Barrel lengths of 24" and 26" have nodes appearing in favorable velocity ranges with heavy bullets. Some of those combinations have the high node showing up around 60k, which can be done without pushing pressures higher.

QL shows the same 180 SGK reaching the high accuracy node @ 2930ish and approximately 63k psi from a 24" barrel, using RL-17.

While a 22" barrel is capable of pushing a 180 SGK to just below 2900, using RL-17 and a pressure limit of 65K, it falls short of reaching the next accuracy node, which falls around 2930 and pushes pressures dangerously close to 70k psi.

In contrast, pushing a 168 Berger Classic Hunter from a 22" barrel, using RL-17 and a 65k psi limit, the high node is reached @ 2960ish and 63k psi.

can you check in my situation for this thread 22inch barrel 3.300 oal, using IMR4350 180 sierra gameking, federal 210 primer? where the accuracy nodes would estimate to be?

Thanks,
My barrel is a 24in. so I'm impressed with the velocity. Its interesting to see there is no difference in velocity between the 24 and 26". I know pressure is relative to components, but this particular gun likes to run hot. I can reach and exceed max loads without running into pressure signs. But I haven't tried the 17 yet. I have a workup with 208's but its been cold and nasty here and I don't think I would have the patience to truly check for accuracy..

I just thought of something, what if you moly'd the bullets? That would put the 24" over 3000fps 22" would probably be close to 2900ish. With 17...

I just thought of something, what if you moly'd the bullets? That would put the 24" over 3000fps 22" would probably be close to 2900ish. With 17...

I don't know the answer to that question, yet. But, I have been thinking along similar lines, which is why I started this thread a few days ago:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/what-results-hbn-moly-coated-bullets-146985/

It is something I plan to investigate myself, but it may be awhile before I have the time to do it. I am leaning more toward using HBN.

I wonder what we could get out of RL 17 if we went to 65,000,psi? Does quick load allow this? I have a pound to try with 208, amax .
QL tells me:
30-06 (CIP)
A-Max 208
Reloader-17
Eddystone 1917 26" barrel
COAL 3.3"
Charge: 53 grains

Estimated fps 2660 at 55k PSI

Might be worth a PMII sensor and a little time at the reloading and shooting bench.

can you check in my situation for this thread 22inch barrel 3.300 oal, using IMR4350 180 sierra gameking, federal 210 primer? where the accuracy nodes would estimate to be?

With IMR 4350, the center of your accuracy node is predicted to fall around 2612 fps or so from a 22" barrel. The node should be approximately 60 fps wide (2612 + / - 30 fps). This will be a very mild load, but it is the highest usable node. The next higher node falls around 2850 or so, with pressures predicted to be north of 70k psi.

QL tells me:
30-06 (CIP)
A-Max 208
Reloader-17
COAL 3.3"

Might be worth a PMII sensor and a little time at the reloading and shooting bench.

THAT would be a VERY good thing. I would love to see what could be learned from that!

I don't know the answer to that question, yet. But, I have been thinking along similar lines, which is why I started this thread a few days ago:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/what-results-hbn-moly-coated-bullets-146985/

It is something I plan to investigate myself, but it may be awhile before I have the time to do it. I am leaning more toward using HBN.

QL tells me:
30-06 (CIP)
A-Max 208
Reloader-17
COAL 3.3"

I got to get a chrony so i can experiment this more.
What do you guys think of the F1 shooting chrony?

I got to get a chrony so i can experiment this more.
What do you guys think of the F1 shooting chrony?
The "Shooting Chrony's" are the inexpensive option. I have an F1. Before the MagnetoSpeed, it is what I used.

• It will work and is used by many many
  • It is finicky about light. Making new sun shades from coroplast improves performance. I used cream colored but white will work fine.
  • It can be "fragile". The shades get blown off by wind and muzzle blast. The shades break after time because the plastic degrades with solar exposure. See make new ones above.
The good: More than one of us at my range has shot our uprights. The nice thing about how those are built those is that it doesn't break the unit. Just get new ones or make them from piano wire and your good to go again. Heck, we've beat them back into shape with a hammer and taped them up for range customers and they still work as well as new.

The "Shooting Chrony's" are the inexpensive option. I have an F1. Before the MagnetoSpeed, it is what I used.

• It will work and is used by many many
  • It is finicky about light. Making new sun shades from coroplast improves performance. I used cream colored but white will work fine.
  • It can be "fragile". The shades get blown off by wind and muzzle blast. The shades break after time because the plastic degrades with solar exposure. See make new ones above.
The good: More than one of us at my range has shot our uprights. The nice thing about how those are built those is that it doesn't break the unit. Just get new ones or make them from piano wire and your good to go again. Heck, we've beat them back into shape with a hammer and taped them up for range customers and they still work as well as new.
Thanks,I think I'll pick one up and upgrade in the future when I get really serious lol. I would be really interested in your testing of the 208 and 17.

With IMR 4350, the center of your accuracy node is predicted to fall around 2612 fps or so from a 22" barrel. The node should be approximately 60 fps wide (2612 + / - 30 fps). This will be a very mild load, but it is the highest usable node. The next higher node falls around 2850 or so, with pressures predicted to be north of 70k psi.

hmm others suggested I try the imr4350 but from what you stated it may only gain me 50-100FPS with that accuracy node where as the IMR4064 should be giving me an accuracy node around 2550-2600fps and I already have 2lbs of the imr4064. Not sure what to do. Stick with the imr4064 or buy imr 4350. Yes I am on somewhat of a budget...decisions decisions ...

hmm others suggested I try the imr4350 but from what you stated it may only gain me 50-100FPS with that accuracy node where as the IMR4064 should be giving me an accuracy node around 2550-2600fps and I already have 2lbs of the imr4064. Not sure what to do. Stick with the imr4064 or buy imr 4350. Yes I am on somewhat of a budget...decisions decisions ...

There is nothing wrong with using what you have for now. You can always develop something better at a later time. If you run out and buy different components now, who is to say that you won't change your mind again about what you want later (e.g. RL-17 and 208 AMAX)?

I say if your happy with 4064 (velocity,accuracy) then I would use it up.
If you ever decide to stretch it out then you might consider something else.
I starred using 4064 in 06 with 165's and was very happy. Then I switched to imr 4350 and was very very very happy.haha

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.