Pressure signs

Wlhofer

What's your thoughts on ridge on primer on 20 tac is that ok or to much pressure
Getting a awesome group

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 85
The primer looks good on the outside edges but its cratered pretty good. Its not flattened but it looks distorted on one side can you show a pic directly above it?

Looks more like your firing pin spring may be a little weak and/or excessive clearance around the bolt/firing pin hole.

What kind of action/bolt?

Usually overpressure shows primer flattening around the edges.

I wouldn't push much farther or you might pierce a primer.

Using wolf primers
TC icon 223. Reworked into a 20 tac Ted gilliard barrel
Have put hundreds of round haven't pierced any primers yet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 76
Cratered primers are often false indicators of excessive pressure.

Were there other signs of pressure like hard bolt lift? If the cratering is the only sign you're seeing, you're probably OK.

Excessively generous clearance between the firing pin and the hole can cause this especially with soft primers (I have not heard that wolf primers are soft, rather the opposite). As your primer is no where near flattened, I'd guess this is your issue. This is very common with stock Savage and Remington rifles.

If this is the case, send your bolt off to Gre-Tan Rifles to be bushed for $87. If you send it on a Monday, you have a good chance to get it back by Friday. This is without a doubt the best value in gunsmithing today.

-nosualc

http://www.gretanrifles.com/services/main.jsf

I'd say slightly oversized firing pin hole. That's one of the worst ones I have seen though. Flat primers will have no radius left on the edges. They will look like a top hat when deprimed.

Thanx guys for your in puts appreciate it
Shoots clays at 500 yards all day but wasn't sure if pressures was a bit high

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 82
That last pic shows no pressure signs. Its just a oversize firing pin hole. I see no flat primer no shiny spots or ejector marks on the brass.

I agree that what you're seeing doesn't tell you anything about pressure. It's most likely the result of sloppy factory tolerances between the firing pin & the hole. Bushing it will cure the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.