Pressure signs way below max load

2950 is about max for a 180 from a 24" bbl, 3000 with a 26" bbl. 3100 with 215's ? That's cooking...literally. Where did you see that load info??? You should be more than happy with 3000 fps. (I'd be surprised to see that). Really, I think a 29" bbl is too long for that cartridge. I like 26" 27" may be max (without the brake). You can't turn a 3000 win mag into a RUM.
Hodgdon lists 2950 as max with 61,000 psi with a 208 gr bullet and 24" bbl. AND that is a 81 gr Compressed load which means in your case you may nnot even be able to get that much powder in your case. You wont atuomatically get 30 fps per inch for the full 5 inches. There are diminishing returns. Back off and go for accuracy at a safe pressure.

IMR
IMR 8133
.308"
3.420"
47,500 PSI
81.0C

What is this carbon ring that you mention? I've been handloading since 1990 and I have never heard of a carbon ring. I am just getting back into reloading the precision side of it, I took up archery but I continued to do some reloading more like a little for hunts out of state.
There was a whole thread on this forum a few months ago by a gentleman trying to clean out a stubborn carbon ring from his rifle. He tried all the 'carbon' remover potions and in the end, the only thing that really worked was JB Bore Paste and scrubbing, scrubbing, and more scrubbing. Eventually he got the carbon out and the pressure issues he had went away. Some powders will lead to carbon rings faster than others. Folks will clean more frequently after dealing with a carbon ring, to avoid dealing with another one because...they are a pain.

Here is some info on carbon rings:
https://criterionbarrels.com/media/criterion-recommended-rifle-barrel-cleaning-procedures/
"The Chamber
Proper cleaning of the chamber is a critical component of a general cleaning procedure. Carbon rings can build up near the neck and throat of the chamber wall, leading to feeding malfunctions and pressure spikes inside the chamber."

Then there is this:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/barrel-carboned-up-thoughts-on-gumout-regane.219807/

View attachment 145829
That's a good point. I guess I started with the assumption that between myself and 2 other shooters at the range that is a sign of pressure. That being said the pictures above are my concern, I suspect pressure signs.
Here is a picture of the bolt, haven't clean it yet.
I don't have my glasses on and don't feel like getting out of bed to get them but is that a crack by the firing pin hole or scratch or gouge ?

Definitely looks like a gouge.. with the deepest ending over the edge of the hole. What is the hole width vs pin diameter?. Your primers look good aside from cratering. Maybe try Wolf?

I just read the whole thread and some good points came up. The FIRST easy answer is the gunsmith who posted about a min chamber. Pick one bullet and one powder to work with starting at min recommended load (detonation issues I believe come up at below published min charges). With min loads and working up look for normal MV for that bullet and accuracy nodes. If min loads go over normal MV's then scope the throat area. hope this helps

Wow! That is moving for a 215 out of a 300 win. What is the +or - 75 FPS? That isn't your ES is it?
That is FAST but I'm thinking the 29" barrel would add approximately 150 fps max to the published loads as many are shot with 24-26" barrels. Still no excuse for pressure though. But I would still suspect seating a bigger issue!

Update: Smith believes it is the spring that holds the firing pin in place, we change it and no I have to go to the range to test the theory.
If he is right it is amazing how his methodology is ... he literally circled the gun and he's like yea ... you hear that ...
Me: ?!?!?!?!
After he changes the spring: much better now can you hear it?
Me again: ?!?!?!?!

I am not an expert as are many on here, but I love shooting and have been reloading a fair bit over the last 15 years. I may be missing something, but I believe there is s reason that every reloading manual lists minimum and maximum charge weights. I have a couple of rifles that showed signs of pressure below the max charge - I just assumed it was that particular rifle's configuration/chamber/throat shape. I may just be too timid, but I always start working up loads by starting at the minimal charge weight and increasing by a half grain until I see mild pressure signs. If that's under max, well ok. Why not just seat your bullet .020 off the lands (or at max magazine length if it's a hunting round) and start back down at the minimal charge weights and go up till you see pressure signs? If you still see pressure signs below the max charge, but can get good accuracy and velocity, I would consider it a positive that you will save a few dollars in powder over the life of the rifle. Like I said, I am far from an expert, but am a huge fan of this forum and an even bigger fan of the philosophy of "KISS"! The last S on there is aimed at me - not anyone on here.
Rifles are like people, no two are exactly alike.
One of the many things many shooters forget is the age, or condition of the rifle chamber itself.
If you rifles chamber is a bit worn or "over sized fron wear" it will show pressure signs much sooner than you may think. A worn chamber allows the case to expand beyond it's design limits, check your chamber readings by a reliable gunsmith. This could save you and your rifle a lot of time or possibly injury from an exploding case. CAUTION IS NEVER OUT OF PLACE.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.