Pressure signs not showing at Max load

MOOSE39465

Rifle-Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor
Bullet-142 Grain Accubond long range
Power-H4350

Went to the range today and done some load development. I was pleased to see my rifle really liked the Accubond long range bullet. When I got to the max load on the Nosler website I examined the cases and was surprised I didn't see any pressure signs. My question is what now? Should I just start increasing to powder charge until I see ejector marks or stop at max? I posted a picture of a case so you could see for yourself.

Attachments

• 5AAA4B72-A2E9-45B2-ACCD-EFB55E350FC7.jpeg
    5AAA4B72-A2E9-45B2-ACCD-EFB55E350FC7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 560
Maximum suggested loads are just that, Suggested. They are intended to be safe in different rifles. The fact that you are not seeing pressure signs is a good thing. The only thing to do at this point is to run them through a chronograph to verify the velocity.

If it is inline with the load velocity and you are getting good accuracy, loading up can only shorten case life and be hard on your rifle. be happy with your loads.

Loading until you see pressure signs means that you are on the edge of problems and under certain temperature conditions, you can get into trouble. Most of the time if your rifle is chambered correctly and loaded proper ammo that shouldn't create pressure problems you are at or near the SAMMI pressure limits of the designed cartridge.

I have rifles that are built specifically for SAMMI pressure and velocities without achieving pressure signs on the cases and heavy bolt lift.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Take 5 chunks of brass,,, reload them 5 X's using the neck sizing part only,,, on the 2nd or 3rd neck sizing only thing you'll notice that the bolt handle is getting tight... An indication that the shoulder needs bumping back...

I call it the 2 to 1 or 3 to 1,,, 3 neck sizing to a shoulder bump back as soon as I notice a tight bolt handle closing... Im in the sweet spot...

This might be the best mileage of your brass,,, of course you get to decide what works for you...

Once I find the 2:1 or 3:1,,, I put my collet die away and do shoulder bump back of 1 to 2 thou for target shooting stuff,,, 3 thou bump back for hunting loads,,, ain't no way I'm going to find out the hard way on a hunting trip... LOL

Any-Who,,, if you can close the bolt handle on 5 firings of 1 peace of brass with very little bolt handle restrictions,,, your probilibly safe to incress the charge,,, but,,, with out the proper measuring tools your heading down a slippery slope... When I feel a """tight""" bolt handle closing on a neck sized only case on shot 2 or 3... That tells me that it's about as far as I want to push the envelope...

The trick is accuracy not speed,,, at least in my books it is...

Cheers from the North

Whoops I forgot to add,,, I have 2 loads I work with,,, hot Sumner day loads,,, and frozen cold winter loads...

That way I get good mileage out of my brass with out eating primers...

-36 to -40 allows for a spike in powder.

Rifle-Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor
Bullet-142 Grain Accubond long range
Power-H4350

Went to the range today and done some load development. I was pleased to see my rifle really liked the Accubond long range bullet. When I got to the max load on the Nosler website I examined the cases and was surprised I didn't see any pressure signs. My question is what now? Should I just start increasing to powder charge until I see ejector marks or stop at max? I posted a picture of a case so you could see for yourself.
Is this a new barrel?

If you think that's max, you haven't been to max ;)

Anyways its possible you could find another good node at 42.5 or so but I wouln't mess with it. I have a long throated Tikka and load to 2.925 and 43.2. That same load is unsafe in a normal; chamber.

Yes, you do in fact have pressure signs on that brass. I see an obvious ejector mark (starts between the two oo's on "creedmoor" and ends between creedmoor and hornady) and cratered primer. I'll post your picture bigger. Don't load any hotter, your at/over max. View attachment 145057

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.