Pressure Signs Help Needed

Stick with ADG/GunWerks. Just weighed 50 Hornady brass in 6.5 PRC. varies up to 4 grains. 50 ADG and GunWerks only varies 1 grain at most . Also weighed 100 Lapua and 50 Hornady 6.5x284 cases. Same thing. 1 grain and 4 grains. 100 GunWerks and 50 ADG 300 RUM. 1 grain difference. Rem brass 2 grains. I know what I'm sticking with.
Hey, neighbor, I hear you on the brass differences. The Gunwerks/ADG is much more consistent in weight; that said, I always weight sort brass into 1 to 1and a half grain batches and don't mix different headstamps when loading batches. What did surprise me was how close the weights averaged between the Gunwerks brass and once fired Hornady brass (from their Match grade ammo). Thanks to you guys and your vast knowledge of this great sport ( or, dare I say, "addiction"), my next step is to purchase comparator gauges for the 3 cartridges I shoot most. I'm guessing my "by feel" method of bumping shoulders just isn't cutting it! Thank you for your input! MTGEEZER PS: Finally the wind is supposed to lay down tomorrow and I will be out shooting! Blessings to all!

Hey, neighbor, I hear you on the brass differences. The Gunwerks/ADG is much more consistent in weight; that said, I always weight sort brass into 1 to 1and a half grain batches and don't mix different headstamps when loading batches. What did surprise me was how close the weights averaged between the Gunwerks brass and once fired Hornady brass (from their Match grade ammo). Thanks to you guys and your vast knowledge of this great sport ( or, dare I say, "addiction"), my next step is to purchase comparator gauges for the 3 cartridges I shoot most. I'm guessing my "by feel"
method of bumping shoulders just isn't cutting it! Thank you for your input! MTGEEZER PS: Finally the wind is supposed to lay down tomorrow and I will be out shooting! Blessings to all!
Hey Nieghbor. At least no more snow for few days. Wind not bad here last few days . I never mix brass either. I wrote on every case the weight to the hundredth . Should be able to get them close . I have a lot of Hornady once fired match 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC I should weigh. Thanks for the idea. I'm old and still do by feel. Been buying some gauges lately. Inside neck thickness . Another better digital caliper . Other took a dump. Getting there slowly .
Thanks MTGEEZER from a WYGEEZER. :)

Hey Nieghbor. At least no more snow for few days. Wind not bad here last few days . I never mix brass either. I wrote on every case the weight to the hundredth . Should be able to get them close . I have a lot of Hornady once fired match 6.5 Creed and 6.5 PRC I should weigh. Thanks for the idea. I'm old and still do by feel. Been buying some gauges lately. Inside neck thickness . Another better digital caliper . Other took a dump. Getting there slowly .
Thanks MTGEEZER from a WYGEEZER. :)
I'm "close to old" too as i will be 69 in June so I've got that going for me!? Ya, wind; I live in the Clarks Fork wind tunnel and that's where the short (200 yards max.) range I shoot at is. Usually doesn't effect group testing too much but the wind here the last few months has been really gusty so I'm leary of trusting the 200 yard groups. By the way, do you ever have the problem of pulling the last shot when when you have a good, meaning under half MOA, group going? Can I blame that on age??? Have a good one, brother!

I'm "close to old" too as i will be 69 in June so I've got that going for me!? Ya, wind; I live in the Clarks Fork wind tunnel and that's where the short (200 yards max.) range I shoot at is. Usually doesn't effect group testing too much but the wind here the last few months has been really gusty so I'm leary of trusting the 200 yard groups. By the way, do you ever have the problem of pulling the last shot when when you have a good, meaning under half MOA, group going? Can I blame that on age??? Have a good one, brother!
I know Clarks Fork well. Have killed a couple bucks in 121. You for sure get wind there ! I get the west wind through the wind tunnel from North Fork/Buffalo Bill Resovoir. The pass to Yellowstone between Cedar and Rattlesnake Mtns. Blows like he!!. I'm 62. Yes ! When I blow a good group it's always the last shot. I say should of shot just 3 shots or 4 not five . Even after letting barrel cool. Hope you have a good one also brother. We'll talk again I know. ;)

This is what I look for. The 284 has started to flatten at the edges whereas the new primer has a nice round edge.

Your left hand case the primer is creating not just fallen. Tell me you are little to hot. Need to check case length and bullet to lands, reduce powder some. If you are using the overall length from a manual you should be okay. You didn't say what Primes you are using> Large Rifle or Mag primers, if Mag Primers reduce powder charge by 10% then load one case increasing your powder weight back up at .3 of a grain per case. You know what your load was, so don't go back there again. Your pressure is over for sure, and need to check out the other items first, then if using mag primers reduce by 10% and work up until primer is flat not creator. My reloading manual (Nosler Reloading Guide 8) is calling max loads from 45 grains to 55 grains depending on what powder with Large Rifle Primers. If using larger rifle primes only then reduce by 5% . You can increase by .25 grains at a time. Knowing what I know you are over the loading manual max charge presently now. Not all rifles are the same. That why they have a starting point and max load point which are generally under what the rifle can handle. Then you can shot for groups and chronograph the loads.

SSS
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.