Pressure issues reloading for Christensen

Had the same issue with a CA Ridgeline 28 nos.
See if a bullet will fit in a fired case. If not you need to either neck turn or find a brand of brass with thinner neck walls because your throat is probably a little undersize.
Another issue could be carbon build up.
Have you shot any factory loads to see if they have pressure and what the velo. is on them.
Shooting reloads will NOT void your warranty. I told CA that I had shot reloads and they had me send the gun in for warranty work (not the high pressure issue).

What page is the other group discussion on?
you might need to neck turn. thats not leaving much space if your brass is .014 if bigger that will give you pressure.

h4831 in my couple gives me 2950/60 or so with 140's and 2830/50 with the 156 with R26. those are both custom too.

If the gun has a tight bore the RDF bullets should help a bunch.
This if indeed is true then CA needs to fix it. Not just deal with it and neck turn? Change out the reamer and throat it correctly.
It was on Facebook groups 300PRC
A334CC25-F564-424B-AF3C-1098B13B21CA.png

Last edited:
No just one on my brass. Looks like two in the picture above.

That's from his Christensen bolt. They have two ejectors.

Mine with the Rem 700 action they used to use, does the same thing. I bought it second hand so no going back to Christensen, when I reached out to them they were clueless. That's why the new barrel is on the way.

Have the same rifle as the OP and experienced same pressure issues w/HSM factory ammo and loads done w/H5831sc. Worked up a load w/RL23 and Berger 140 VLD Hunters, seated at the lands. Getting 2950'ish with lower SD using Fed210M and Lapua brass.

Have the same rifle as the OP and experienced same pressure issues w/HSM factory ammo and loads done w/H5831sc. Worked up a load w/RL23 and Berger 140 VLD Hunters, seated at the lands. Getting 2950'ish with lower SD using Fed210M and Lapua brass.
What charge did you use with the RL23? How close is that to. RL22?

I've got a Christensen in 6.5x284, 26" bbl. that I started working up hunting loads for. The problem is that I experienced very high pressures approaching max loads. Very tight bolts and extractor marks on cases. Those were still only at 2800-2900 fps. I've tried RL22, RL25 and 4831SC with both Berger 140 and 156 gr. Elite Hunter and Fed 215 primers. I spoke with Berger and they said that Christensen barrels and actions had very tight tolerances and most people had to adjust down to starting loads. The folks at Christensen are no help at all.

I've cut my loads and came up with the best accuracy being 47 gr. of 4831SC but now I'm only pushing 2575 FPS. My COAL is 3.275 which I think is about .035 off the lands. Question is, what can I do to get more velocity while staying away from the pressure issues? This rifle should easily shoot 3000 fps, but i can't get close. I'll be using this for LR elk and mule deer. Out to 800 yards.
I had a similar issue with some 284 Winchester cases I necked down. Found out the neck tolerance was too tight. I turned the necks down and problem disappeared.

I have a 6.5-284 with 30 inch, 5R Bartlein on Rem 700 LA. Dave Tooley did all my gun-smithing work. I have done a lot of work at load development. Favorite load is 140 Gr. RDF, 49gr H4350, Lapua Brass, BR2 CCI primers, 2990 FPS. Will put all bullets one ragged hole at 100 and groups of less than 2 inches at 600 yards. Have similar results with ballistic tip hunting bullets of same weight. I have never had a pressure issue with this load.

I haven't read through all the posts, but what brass are you using? I have noticed in a couple rifles that i will see pressure signs earlier with different brands of brass. Seems I find earlier signs with nosler brass more than others.

I have a 6.5-284 with 30 inch, 5R Bartlein on Rem 700 LA. Dave Tooley did all my gun-smithing work. I have done a lot of work at load development. Favorite load is 140 Gr. RDF, 49gr H4350, Lapua Brass, BR2 CCI primers, 2990 FPS. Will put all bullets one ragged hole at 100 and groups of less than 2 inches at 600 yards. Have similar results with ballistic tip hunting bullets of same weight. I have never had a pressure issue with this load.
What's your jump?

I haven't read through all the posts, but what brass are you using? I have noticed in a couple rifles that i will see pressure signs earlier with different brands of brass. Seems I find earlier signs with nosler brass more than others.
Retumbo powder is the answer for mine. I'm able to get just to 3000 ft./s with 143 gr. EDX. Bullets.

I've got a Christensen in 6.5x284, 26" bbl. that I started working up hunting loads for. The problem is that I experienced very high pressures approaching max loads. Very tight bolts and extractor marks on cases. Those were still only at 2800-2900 fps. I've tried RL22, RL25 and 4831SC with both Berger 140 and 156 gr. Elite Hunter and Fed 215 primers. I spoke with Berger and they said that Christensen barrels and actions had very tight tolerances and most people had to adjust down to starting loads. The folks at Christensen are no help at all.

I've cut my loads and came up with the best accuracy being 47 gr. of 4831SC but now I'm only pushing 2575 FPS. My COAL is 3.275 which I think is about .035 off the lands. Question is, what can I do to get more velocity while staying away from the pressure issues? This rifle should easily shoot 3000 fps, but i can't get close. I'll be using this for LR elk and mule deer. Out to 800 yards.
I use H4350 with my 6.5s....and FEDERAL 210 primers! Good consistent solid results

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.