Pressure build near max for ball powders

I have found sudden pressure spikes mostly when bullet is pushed into the lands. Avoid this on hot loads! Keep loads at least .030" Out of lands, and stay much safer; little or no accuracy will be lost in doing this, according to my research.

I don't want to base that on any kind of apparent "node", but want to pick a charge that is 1-1.5gr below max. I'm thinking maybe 59-59.5 for hunter and 57.5 - 58 for staball.
This or maybe a tad less for safety measures! Those velocities are no slouch. My apologies; I do not remember if this has the +P throating.

Nice graph! - my compliments

I use R-S Hunter & Staball for many of my rifles because it is available.

My best results are with large rifle primers & crimping. In cold temperatures I use magnum primers. A good .22-.250 combo is 36.5 gr Staball, 75 H ELDM or 75 H hpbt, PPU brass, & Fed 215 primers. Crimped, 7.7 twist.

Another is 6.5 CM, 47.0 R-S Hunter, 120 H ELDM, Win bass, Fiocchi LRP's.

I avoid compressed ball powder loads. Best results appear to be with 90% plus charges.

An experiment using CCI41's in the 6.5CM with R-S Hunter showed erratic ignition, huge velocity spreads - at 80 plus deg. F.

.22-.250 loads using 35.0 gr. of H414, CCI 200 & 75 AMax bullets were OK at 65 deg. but showed heavy bolt lifts at 95 degr.

Some stats:
Screenshot (478).pngScreenshot (479).pngScreenshot (480).png

Only 5 rounds were fired, not significant, but showed some trends. When it gets warmer more loads using Staball & Fed 215' will be tested. Fed 215's gave better results than Fiocchi LRP.

Screenshot (537).png

This load -6.5 CM, 130 HELDM, Fiocchi LRP, Win Brass. Temps. at 70F

This or maybe a tad less for safety measures! Those velocities are no slouch. My apologies; I do not remember if this has the +P throating.

It doesnt. Standard throat and kinda fairly short. I'll likely rent a unithroater and extend the throat s bit for 200s and it should also reduce pressure a but on these loads and my 185 loads with a good case fill.

I think you're right I should probably do a bit less than the lower charge I stated for both powders. Maybe 57 for SB and 58.5 for hunter.

Nice graph! - my compliments

I use R-S Hunter & Staball for many of my rifles because it is available.

My best results are with large rifle primers & crimping. In cold temperatures I use magnum primers. A good .22-.250 combo is 36.5 gr Staball, 75 H ELDM or 75 H hpbt, PPU brass, & Fed 215 primers. Crimped, 7.7 twist.

Another is 6.5 CM, 47.0 R-S Hunter, 120 H ELDM, Win bass, Fiocchi LRP's.

I avoid compressed ball powder loads. Best results appear to be with 90% plus charges.

An experiment using CCI41's in the 6.5CM with R-S Hunter showed erratic ignition, huge velocity spreads - at 80 plus deg. F.

.22-.250 loads using 35.0 gr. of H414, CCI 200 & 75 AMax bullets were OK at 65 deg. but showed heavy bolt lifts at 95 degr.

Some stats:
View attachment 433611View attachment 433612View attachment 433613

Only 5 rounds were fired, not significant, but showed some trends. When it gets warmer more loads using Staball & Fed 215' will be tested. Fed 215's gave better results than Fiocchi LRP.

View attachment 433616

This load -6.5 CM, 130 HELDM, Fiocchi LRP, Win Brass. Temps. at 70F

Thanks for sharing!

TAC works very well in my 223AI
StaBall6.5 working awesome in one of my 30-06s and pretty good in a 8 twist 22-250
Hunter is working very well in my 220 Swift

Sometimes you have to play around a little with the ball powders to get them to perform, including trying different primers.
I wouldn't shoot a maximum load in the hot summer that had been worked up in the cooler temperatures.

TAC works very well in my 223AI
StaBall6.5 working awesome in one of my 30-06s and pretty good in a 8 twist 22-250
Hunter is working very well in my 220 Swift

Sometimes you have to play around a little with the ball powders to get them to perform, including trying different primers.
I wouldn't shoot a maximum load in the hot summer that had been worked up in the cooler temperatures.
What your twist rate in your 220 swift? If you don't mind.

Twist is 12" & 26" barrel
The load that I'm using Hunter in is with the 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings. I ran it over the chrono at 3860 fps.

It doesnt. Standard throat and kinda fairly short. I'll likely rent a unithroater and extend the throat s bit for 200s and it should also reduce pressure a but on these loads and my 185 loads with a good case fill.

I think you're right I should probably do a bit less than the lower charge I stated for both powders. Maybe 57 for SB and 58.5 for hunter.
Where do you "rent" a uni-throater?

Twist is 12" & 26" barrel
The load that I'm using Hunter in is with the 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings. I ran it over the chrono at 3860 fps.
If I remember corretly mind is 1-14 twist rate. It's in a 24" bull barrel. I have use Sierra 55 gr for a very long time. I was at 3900fps using IMR4064 using 38.1grs. I could at one time shot almost a bug hole with that load. 38.1 grs, in my old Sierra reloading manual. The rifle is in a Mauser 98 action. I haven't used in a few years. I am looking at putting in back to action.
My plate is load presently.